Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 10:52   #126
14Goudvink

The Zeiss 8x25 is very good, but my 8x30 and 8x32 are easier on the eyes. They have easier eye placement, less eyestrain from having to aligh with a small exit pupil, and wider, more immersive FOVs. After using the Zeiss for a while and then switching to a 8x32 or 8x30 the greater ease of view is immediately noticable.

The optics are great and for a compact bin the ergonomics are very good, but I wouldn't recommend them as your only birding bin.

George
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 12:07   #127
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Goudvink View Post
The Zeiss 8x25 is very good, but my 8x30 and 8x32 are easier on the eyes. They have easier eye placement, less eyestrain from having to aligh with a small exit pupil, and wider, more immersive FOVs. After using the Zeiss for a while and then switching to a 8x32 or 8x30 the greater ease of view is immediately noticable.

The optics are great and for a compact bin the ergonomics are very good, but I wouldn't recommend them as your only birding bin.

George
I agree 100%. The performance of the 8x25 is extraordinarily good and of course it folds away neatly. This makes it a great companion for all kinds of purposes but it wouldn't be my choice as my one and only bino.

Lee
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 18:01   #128
Alexis Powell

I prefer my Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV for most birding, but the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket has lead me to retire my Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x20 Ultravid. Yes, the FOV of the 8x32 is slightly larger (420 vs 390 ft at 1000 yds), but I find eye placement less forgiving than with the 8x25 despite the larger exit pupil of the former. I actually find the view through the 8x25 to be more restful. The 8x25 does not have the off-axis astigmatism of the 8x32 FL or its need for perfect eye alignment to achieve high resolution views. Also, I find that the 8x25 has better eye-relief with glasses, that the 8x25 handles back lighting better, and that its oculars don't have to be shaded as carefully to get a contrasty view when used with glasses.

After using the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket in a wide range of conditions and having compared it to many other bins, I consider it to have no competition among 8x20/8x25 bins, to be superior or competitive with many 8x30/8x32 bins, and to be a surprisingly capable substitute for 8x42 bins. With respect to birding capability, its biggest limitations for me are (1) lack of perfectly flat view, and (2) small focus knob is not as quick/easy to operate as the best larger bins, especially with gloves. I'm hoping the design will be tweaked in the future to have a larger focus knob (length and/or width), bigger strap lugs, a more precise diopter adjustment knob, and (if possible) an even flatter view.

For me, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is the most exciting binocular since the Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio and the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV. Like the Pentax Papilio, it is a game-changer, and like the ELSV it is evolutionary to the point of being revolutionary.

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Friday 9th November 2018 at 18:08.
Old Sunday 11th November 2018, 12:10   #129
paddy7

I would say the Pocket is very close to being enough for your sole binocular. I tried it at BirdFiair, and as far as was practicable, compared it to almost all other compacts at the event. I was convinced it was the best available at this moment in history.
I normally travel with a FL 8x32, but thought i'd risk taking only the Pocket on a 6 day trip to Southern Alentejo in Portugal. Admittedly, good light throughout the trip (too much at some points!) and there was no time that i wished i'd brought something bigger.
Its attributes have been well-documented above by Alexis, Lee and others, so i'm not going to go over all them again.
Additional points, however: although the lugs are small, i can see why they are positioned where they are, as - looking down on the bins - the lugs do not protrude any further than the barrels, so this is obviously to assist in packability and not exposing the small lugs to potential damage. I've set up what seems to be a satisfactory way of carrying, by using the Optech loops, connected to small, lockable double S-Biners, onto a RYO harness.
This all wraps up well and fits in a LowePro Dashpoint 20 compact camera case.
If you are persistently birding at dawn (pre-light) and dusk, you may wish for a bigger objective, but for general birding purposes, looking for birds that tend to roost as the light fades, you could certainly use these for everything.
I recently tried them seawatching, and the big FoV, brightness and general sharpness was very, very impressive.
A slightly more positive dioptre based on the FL's 'pull-adjust-lock' system would be my only suggestion for improvement - and with more obvious markings on it!
Old Sunday 11th November 2018, 12:17   #130
paddy7

Forgot to mention:
I am left-handed, and while i questioned their suitability for lefties, i think they are probably designed for us! I've tried using the focus right-handed, but it definitely seems trickier to reach across the asymetrical hinge than to just hook a finger of the left hand over the left barrel.
Also - i tend to use them (as i have explained in a thread elsewhere) with the eyecups down. I don't wear glasses, but much prefer 'hovering' small binoculars in front of my eyes, with elbows locked against my sides, and moving from the waist. I get the full FoV at all times, and don't have to refer to manufacturers' sometimes dubious claims on eye-relief.
Old Monday 12th November 2018, 01:13   #131
F88

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
Forgot to mention:
I am left-handed, and while i questioned their suitability for lefties, i think they are probably designed for us! I've tried using the focus right-handed, but it definitely seems trickier to reach across the asymetrical hinge than to just hook a finger of the left hand over the left barrel.
Also - i tend to use them (as i have explained in a thread elsewhere) with the eyecups down. I don't wear glasses, but much prefer 'hovering' small binoculars in front of my eyes, with elbows locked against my sides, and moving from the waist. I get the full FoV at all times, and don't have to refer to manufacturers' sometimes dubious claims on eye-relief.
I'm right handed and I actually use my left hand to focus these. I find it very comfortable and intuitive.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: