• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

Ross's Gull

Pics of the Ross's Gull that's been around Weymouth for the last couple of days. Pics from Lodmoor today. This is the 1st Doret record since a bird at Stanpit in 1974!

Attachments

• 30010Ross.JPG
    30010Ross.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 30019Ross.JPG
    30019Ross.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 30023Ross.JPG
    30023Ross.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 30025Ross.JPG
    30025Ross.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 30027Ross.JPG
    30027Ross.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 21
First visit to Morden Bog today. The weather was far from ideal! Highlights were a breeding pair of Dartford Warbler, Common Crossbill and Raven.

Despite out best efforts, the Great Grey Shrike was not seen. We've had several attempts to see this species this year (sites in the New Forest & now Morden Bog) and have failed to pick it up. :(

First visit to Morden Bog today. The weather was far from ideal! Highlights were a breeding pair of Dartford Warbler, Common Crossbill and Raven.

Despite out best efforts, the Great Grey Shrike was not seen. We've had several attempts to see this species this year (sites in the New Forest & now Morden Bog) and have failed to pick it up. :(

The GGS is very elusive, I was around Morden for 2 hours on Monday but didn't see it, whereas on other occasions it will be the 1st bird you spot! I've visited Morden about 12 times this year and only seen it twice

It's a bit far for us to travel on a regular basis, so will have to fall back ob more local haunts in the New Forest.....however, I suspect we've missed the boat for now and will have to wait for the end of the year?

I have a week in the Poole area next week and have never been. Am with family so birding won't be the main priority but will be able to do a few hours each day, any recommendations for sites to visit?

Also looks like corn bunting and woodlark should both be possible? Any suggestions for reliable spots?

Outside of Arne, are there any other recommended spots to visit around Poole Harbour or within 30 minutes? I see the wildlife Trust area of brownsea Island is closed due to avian flu

Outside of Arne, are there any other recommended spots to visit around Poole Harbour or within 30 minutes? I see the wildlife Trust area of brownsea Island is closed due to avian flu
This is very sad news, and will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Around 600 wild birds have died, mainly chicks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back