• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exuvia ID (1 Viewer)

Gashead

Taken today (one of two similar exuvia) on our garden pond in rural Lincolnshire, near Skegness, mainly arable farmland, not near any local heathland.

I think they may be common hawker but there's a suggestion they are unlikely away from heathland.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 002-13.jpg
    002-13.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 23
Looks like an Emperor to me. Did you measure the length and do you have a picture which shows the head / eye shape better (i.e. from above if possible) ?

I can't see a lateral spine on S6 which Brown Hawker should have. I'm guessing that people are thinking Brown Hawker because of the pale stripe on the side of the head and the banding on the legs but those features only come into play when you have determined whether it's a hawker (aeshna) or emperor (anax). Attached a photo of an Emperor exuvia with pale stripe on the thorax extending onto the head and banding on the legs.

Attachments

• 600E_5931-3.jpg
    600E_5931-3.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back