• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, northern Iran (1 Viewer)

2slo

When I was in Iran last year I got this shot just as the light was fading. I had thought that it was just a Kestrel but, on processing the image months later, I'm now thinking Eurasian Hobby?

_DSF3942.jpg

Yes, Hobby, probably a 2nd-year bird (red 'tousers' not developed yet).

Why not a juvenile (1cy)?

Even on this photo the pale tips on remiges and upperparts are quite distinct indicating a bird in a fresh plumage.

When last year was is taken? (Always nice with that piece of info;))

Peter

Why not a juvenile (1cy)?

Even on this photo the pale tips on remiges and upperparts are quite distinct indicating a bird in a fresh plumage.

When last year was is taken? (Always nice with that piece of info;))

Peter
I guess because I wasn't thinking of the possibility the pic was taken late in the year! - so ditto to your last comment :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back