• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

They are some great pictures. I really want to get a camera trap, I was just wondering which model you have. Thanks

Hi Steefo

I have a Prostalk and a Spypoint IR6. There are pros and cons to both but so far I prefer the Prostalk probably because I've had it longer and am more familiar with it.

turkish van has a Bushnell which looks pretty good to me.

Lots of Hare prints around the last few days, now the snow has firmed up and sunk a bit, so I put new batteries in the prostalk (they really do seem to wear down quickly in the cold) and popped it out overnight. Got lots of photos and would have had more if I'd realised I had it set to 5 minutes between triggering rather than 1 minute which is what I normally have it at.

Not brilliant but here is one of the better ones.

Attachments

• Brown Hare.JPG
    Brown Hare.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 369
Just to set the scene, my parents live on the edge of town and are lucky enough to have a large garden surrounded by fields containing lots of wildlife. I purchased my dad a camera trap for Christmas last year but he has never got around to setting it up.

Last week my parents went away (taking their dog) and I volunteered to keep an eye on the house, keep the bird feeders stocked etc. With lots of snow around it was easy to see an assortment of mammal tracks crisscrossing the garden. With this in mind I decided to dig out the trap and set it up. Time was at a premium, and the snow was falling heavily, so I hastily set up the trap and baited with a few dog biscuits.

On checking the trap today I was quite pleased with my first attempt, especially considering I didn’t even test the camera beforehand.

Grey Squirrels, Magpies and Wood Pigeons triggered most of the shots, but I did find a couple of more interesting mammal photos.

The first one is pretty obvious.

MDGC0045.JPG

Any thoughts on the second? (I have a very good idea but just wondered what others think).

MDGC0010.JPG

I also like this shot. My dad is inspecting the trap with Brandy the dog in the distance.

MDGC0052.JPG

Can't wait to have another go. Might even get the whole animal next time!

Nice to see someone else joining in!

As to the photo, it looks like a badger's back end to me?

I really want it to be a Badger and this was my first thought. They are in the area as I've seen two roadkills just outside the house over the last couple of years.

As it's difficult to judge scale, I wasn't confident enough to rule out rabbit as the fur looks pretty smooth, and they are common visitors to the vegetable patch.

I will have to try for a better picture.

I really want it to be a Badger and this was my first thought. They are in the area as I've seen two roadkills just outside the house over the last couple of years.

As it's difficult to judge scale, I wasn't confident enough to rule out rabbit as the fur looks pretty smooth, and they are common visitors to the vegetable patch.

I will have to try for a better picture.

I think I went through the same thought process, between rabbit and badger!

Now I look again I can see how it's be sitting, which I couldn't quite before. The white bit near the corner is part of the hind leg? Which makes me lean towards rabbit.

Hard to tell, only solution is get the camera back out there. ...

I can see where you're both coming from with rabbit and badger but I'm not 100% convinced that it's a back end view. Doesn't it look a bit like a pricked ear on the bottom left of the animal? I'm wondering if it could be the fox again with it's head bent down and around to the right.

Good luck with getting more pictures to solve the mystery.

Doesn't it look a bit like a pricked ear on the bottom left of the animal? I'm wondering if it could be the fox again with it's head bent down and around to the right.

That's exactly what my girlfriend said. Although I don't like to admit it, you both may be on to something!

I'm still going to work on a Badger photo.

Changed the camera location to the field behind the garden where a well worn mammal track promised some activity. Still no badger but managed a rabbit.

MDGC0015.JPG

Also the fox pictures have improved! (same fox using the path on different nights).

MDGC0032.JPG

MDGC0021.JPG

MDGC0018.JPG

Last edited:
Changed the camera location to the field behind the garden where a well worn mammal track promised some activity. Still no badger but managed a rabbit.

Also the fox pictures have improved! (same fox using the path on different nights).

Excellent fox captures. You could really do with the rabbit and the fox using the track at the same time for an action shot :eek!:.

Any joy with badgers yet?

I checked my camera today as it's been out for a few days. Not a single photo. I think it's angled down a bit too much but judging by the tracks I could see in the vicinity it's only missed roe deer. The strap was all frozen up and I couldn't be bothered to try and realign it so left it as it was.

Excellent fox captures. You could really do with the rabbit and the fox using the track at the same time for an action shot :eek!:.

Any joy with badgers yet?

QUOTE]

Checked it again yesterday but only foxes and various birds. Might try a different location.

I know of a good otter site but not sure if I want to risk the camera getting stolen.

Hey look everyone, it's a grainy woodpigeon!!

Yes, I'm running a bit short at the moment.

Camera is out tonight at the badger sett though, an entrance with very fresh activity (last night I think), and it's a very clear night. Fingers crossed....

Anyone else got anything new?

Attachments

• woodpig bf.jpg
    woodpig bf.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 102
Hey look everyone, it's a grainy woodpigeon!!

Yes, I'm running a bit short at the moment.

Camera is out tonight at the badger sett though, an entrance with very fresh activity (last night I think), and it's a very clear night. Fingers crossed....

Anyone else got anything new?

I was going to reply last night that I hadn't had anything interesting except a Roe Deer having a pee but thought I'd wait and see if there was anything new this morning and there was.

Not a new species but a fox up a tree. When I downloaded the pics onto the computer I thought I'd got a Pine Marten. Wish I'd had it set to video. It's even more blurry than your Woodpigeon! Some of the blur was due to frozen snow/ice on the lens.

TS

Attachments

• Fox in tree.JPG
    Fox in tree.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 225
Not a new species but a fox up a tree. When I downloaded the pics onto the computer I thought I'd got a Pine Marten. Wish I'd had it set to video. It's even more blurry than your Woodpigeon! Some of the blur was due to frozen snow/ice on the lens.

TS

Nice one! Fox up a tree would be a great video, shame but still an interesting photo.

I got something last night too........

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back