• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

whats your favorite bird? (1 Viewer)

Hooded Warbler for me! Only seen two, but I've heard a couple others.

EDIT: Saw at least two more today, including my first female.

Last edited:
As it is favorites rather than favourites, I'll say Clark's Nutcracker - best bird I saw on my visits to USA, but also a very honorable mention to Chestnut-backed Chickadee :t:

California Scrub-jay for me. Intelligent, athletic, trustful (when treated right), beautiful. Also a great finder of roosting owls, including no less than 5 species in the backyard of my former Reno house alone--Saw-whet, Flammulated, Long-eared, Barn, Great Horned.

Last edited:
As it is favorites rather than favourites, I'll say Clark's Nutcracker - best bird I saw on my visits to USA, but also a very honorable mention to Chestnut-backed Chickadee :t:

Now that you’re leaving the EU, don’t you think it’s time to get rid of all those frenchified spelllings? ;)

Mine is Bushcrow

Mine is Streseman's Bushcrow bird no.5000

Sarah's is currently Javan Banded Pitta

Attachments

• javan banded pitta male.jpg
    javan banded pitta male.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 14
  • bushcrow2.jpg
    bushcrow2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19
The next one I see.............

:t: I suppose we all have "favourites" but whole heartedly agree with you on this Andy. If we lost that excitement each time we see a bird then we might as well pack it in.

I have far too many to list, all for different reasons (lifers, birds that remind me of special times or places, or just for simply being stunning to look at etc etc)

I agree with Andy's "the next one" but I'm also happy (very happy) to nominate a specific individual bird: the white Gyrfalcon on Berry Head in March/April 1986.

Not only did I recover from my original suspicion of the bird due to hearing of it on 1 April but I got super views for several hours on each of two days. And of the five I've seen in Britain it was the whitest and brightest and just the best. :t::t::t:

John

Difficult one to answer from any perspective ie. favourite....UK rare, spectacle, challenge, find or circumstance (location for e.g). However for me I would say that the one that ticked all the boxes, excepting “the challenge”, would be the 1978 Cheddar (quarry) in flight Wallcreeper.

Cheers

I agree with Andy's "the next one" but I'm also happy (very happy) to nominate a specific individual bird: the white Gyrfalcon on Berry Head in March/April 1986.

Not only did I recover from my original suspicion of the bird due to hearing of it on 1 April but I got super views for several hours on each of two days. And of the five I've seen in Britain it was the whitest and brightest and just the best. :t::t::t:

John

One of my favourite twitches was for a Gyr on North Uist, stunning bird in a stunning place and I twitched a Snowy Owl there a couple of years later. I suppose the Shetland Blue-cheeked Bee-eater should feature....?

World birds, Harpy Eagle, watched at 30m for half an hour and I suppose I have to say the male Gurneys we saw at KNC, that's a blocker now.

Attachments

• 20160203142455094.jpg
    20160203142455094.jpg
    682.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160203142334756.jpg
    20160203142334756.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 24
Since we're mentioning more than one.....No bird more awe inspiring than a Snowy Owl for me. I love the pastel colors and elegance of the American Avocet. I love all of the blue birds but the blue/rust contrast of the Lazuli Bunting is a favorite.

Don't really have a favourite but have a soft spot the Dunnock love watching them in my garden going about their business.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back