• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The usual suspects! (1 Viewer)

awhitehead2011

Hello all,
Visiting Andalucia mid-April. Need some help regarding best current sites for Marbled Duck, Red-knobbed Coot and White-headed Duck? I believe it's a bit damp down there!;)

Last edited:
Hi awhitehead and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

There's a couple of articles in Opus covering Andalucia - Cadiz Lagoons and Alcornocales Natural Park both of which were updated with new information last year.

I hope these may be of some help to you.

D

Hello all,
Visiting Andalucia mid-April. Need some help regarding best current sites for Marbled Duck, Red-knobbed Coot and White-headed Duck? I believe it's a bit damp down there!;)

Laguna Medina should be okay for all 3, but that will depend on whether or not it remains dry and water levels drop! Welcome to PM me nearer the time for an update.

Peter

Where are you flying in to? There are White-headed Ducks about 10 mins from Malaga airport. The Coot is, as Peter says, often at the laguna at Medina, but I gather there's lots of water there at the mo!
Marbled Duck - you could try Brazo del Este.

Good luck

Jon

Hello all,

Marbled Duck - I've never seen one at Laguna de Medina myself! In the last few years have had them with little difficulty along the road by the Gudalaquivir between Algaida/Bonanza and Trebujena (particularly on the lagoons just after the sluice gate). I've also had them at Brazo de Este
Red-knobbed Coot - after struggling at L. Medina, I've cracked this one ... I go to Lagunas de Espera instead! Check out the smallest pool furthest from the track (Laguna Dulce de Zorilla -20 mins walk). A much easier site to my mind although I have seen them regularly at L. Medina
White-headed Duck - although easy enough at L. Medina you'd get better views at a small pool just off the road in Bonanza - too complex a route to explain here - I've sent you a PM

Yes, it's VERY damp and a number of roads have been badly damaged so take care!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back