• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (1 Viewer)

I have just consulted my wife who believes it is a sheep's cheese that we bought in a market at Caimari festival. We will try to find it again. All I remember is that it was just delicious, mild, creamy and yet a distinctive flavour. Will let you know! Mike

Yes, that's the one I enjoy in Mallorca and the Algarve. It is a brine cured goats cheese. A small chunk on each slice of saucission with a glass of port or spanish red. Nice.

Who needs crackers? ;)

Puerto Pollensa

Sorry for going off topic a little here but after staying In Playa de Muro,last summer,I would like to holiday In Puerto Pollensa this summer,so I can be closer to some of the fantastic bird areas there.
Can anyone recommend a good Hotel or Apartments ? There shall only be 2 adults In the party.

Hopefully someone will respond with their own experiences but I know of a great hotel but the name escapes me. I will check with my friend and let you have the name. It certainly is the best area to stay in. Mike

I've stayed with a friend in the Daina Apartments, just one street back off the seafront. Ideally suited for public transport and taxis and right in the centre of Puerto Pollensa so convenient for eating out, etc. It was well appointed and comfortable and even had a roof terrace. Perfect. I've also stayed in the Habitat Apartments. These are set back off the main road into Puerto Pollensa and were quite pleasant and had the benefit of a pool. Not quite so convenient for evening meals, though.
Martin

Two Glossy Ibis at s'Albufera and a Stork species hanging round the Campos area although I have yet to catch up with it. I have drawn a blank on the cheese so far, we bought it at a market which is only on once a year! I will keep trying. Mike

Mike and Martin.

Many thanks for your help.I am just away to have a look at some places now. :t:

I have stayedd in both the Hoposa Bahia Hotel (Pine Walk) and the Bellamar Apartments (other end of Puerto Pollensa) and found both to be very good. The Bellamar is literally steps away from the Scops Owls although quite a way from the Boquer Valley. The bus also stops just outside the comlex if you wish to go to S'albufera. The Bahia is 5 mins from the bottom of the Boquer Valley but is a bit more expensive as it is more central and overlooking the sea. I hope this helps. I am also currently planning a week in Puerto Pollensa for a week in May/June. Am really looking forward to it.
Rach

I have stayedd in both the Hoposa Bahia Hotel (Pine Walk) and the Bellamar Apartments (other end of Puerto Pollensa) and found both to be very good. The Bellamar is literally steps away from the Scops Owls although quite a way from the Boquer Valley. The bus also stops just outside the comlex if you wish to go to S'albufera. The Bahia is 5 mins from the bottom of the Boquer Valley but is a bit more expensive as it is more central and overlooking the sea. I hope this helps. I am also currently planning a week in Puerto Pollensa for a week in May/June. Am really looking forward to it.
Rach

Thanks Rach :t:

One hour at the Cap de ses Salines this afterrnoon: Very windy! Gannet (2) Balearic shearwater (7)
Salobrar de Campos: Flamingos (104)
Just waiting for the first migrants, any day now..Mike

Places to stay in PP

We have stayed in the biggest hotel in PP- the Pollensa Park- for the last 13 years at Easter and have found it very suitable for a family. However it does tend to get full up with cyclists and because of it's size it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the views from the upper floors are excellent and we have seen quite a few good birds from the balcony over the years- Ospreys feeding in the Bay, Booted Eagles, Black Vultures distantly over the Boquer area, Bee-eaters hunting at balcony level, lots of things visible on the offshore rocky reefs,and the Scops Owls are usually in the gardens at some point during the night, and can be seen from the service road behind the sea-front hotels. We book through Wildwings who get us the flights and do the arrangements with the hotel, although you can do it all yourself on the net if you want, although we were very thankful for Wildwings' help in 2010 when the volcano kept us in Mallorca for an extra week (sadly I missed a week of school-teaching in my last term before retirement!) I would also recommend going to Son Real- go to C'an Picafort on the bus and walk South down the beach. For the very adventurous there is a once daily bus to Soller which can be persuaded to drop you off at Cuber reservoir and pick you up about 4-5 hours later. We usually hire a car for 3 days each year and that can get you to some good places like Salobrar de Campos, Cuber and Porto Colom. I can, even with a family, usually get to one of La Gola, the Boquer foot or Postage Stamp Wood each day. Hugh Matthews

Had a very nice apartment at the annex of the Montelin Hotel. Quiet and peaceful area of Porto Pollensa, about 200m from to La Gola. The apartments had everything we needed, cleaned every other day, modern decor, TV, walk in shower room. We took the option of breakfast at the main Montelin hotel. Cost about £50 a night in early October for the apartment and breakfast for two people.

With air fares going through the roof for my preferred carrier/aiport (of course it's due to the Easter holidays!) I've taken the plunge today and booked to be out in Mallorca from 24 March to 15 April. As usual I'll be hoping to do some birding and some mothing.

Something to look forward to on these cold, grey days in the UK.

Martin

That's great Martin, it was twenty degrees yesterday and we were all in T shirts so I hope you get a bit of sunshine when you are here. The results of the winter bird count at s'Albufera are on the GOB site although I still can't give the link, perhaps you could help Martin. Interesting to see the total count of Marsh harrier was 76 birds. I have certainly seen 27 in the air at one time, quite a sight. Mike

Hi Mike

Sounds perfect. Here it's usually a combination of thermals and waterproofs (plus other clothes, of course!).

The list Mike mentions is here:
http://www.gobmallorca.com/images/stories/pdf/hivernants2014nordMallorca.pdf
Text in purple are estimates.

I've had 50 Marsh Harrier in the air at once at s'Albufera (late one October if I remember correctly) - a fantastic sight. There were probably more but we were just watching from the Sa Roca hide.

Martin

Last edited:
Just started looking at car hire.

Holiday Autos on-line claim not to be able to find any cars for the period that I'll be there.

I hope this is not an omen!

Martin

Thanks Martin. Just waiting for the first migrant to arrive, last year it was a House martin on 4th Feb so any day now.
Good luck with the car hire, let me know if I can help in any way. Mike

I also see you were beaten by a German birder. Come on now Mike, this won't do. ;) (Congrats to Michael Schade btw.)
It's beginning to look as though we may be there in May, at least I hope so.

Dear birders,

A friend just told me that my name can be found here. Makes me feel like a VIB (Very Important Birder). I guess I must be about an inch taller now...

Seriously: I would really like to thank you for your congrats! Yes, 2013 was indeed a Big Year for me as a passionate Mallorcaphilo. And I need to mention I had a fantastic start in March, birding with four German friends. And 10 eyes see a lot more than 2, as we know.

Again Yes: I am already subscribed for the BYM2014 (with a little typo in my name though...). My first visit to the island will be by mid-April. And then I am currently planning go again in June, August, and September.

Greetings from Germany, and I am sure I will be meeting some of you in S'Albufera, Salobrar, Bóquer, Cuber, etc. Looking forward to it,

Good birding,

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back