• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brownsville Texas - Planning questions (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
I am planning a trip to Brownsville and South Padre Island. I will have my family with me so birding will be limited to just a few hours. Is there any place special? I have read about the National Wildlife Refuge and am planning to stay as close to it as possible.

The NWR you mentioned is Laguna Atascosa and it is well worth seeing. Its not far from the island. The NWR visitors center has two nice viewing areas and there are some nice driving loops. There are two nice birding areas very close to the hotels on SPI: (1) SPI Convention Center/The Laguna Madre Nature Trail and (2) Isla Blanca County Park. Close to Brownsville Airport is Sabal Palm Audubon Center and Sanctuary. (In all locations, be sure you have plenty of insect repellant.)

I think that is a World Birding Center site - check out their website & maybe you can maximize your time there with a guided birding tour by the Center.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back