• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Trip Part 7 (end to a perfect week) (1 Viewer)

mikealison

Today was our final day in Norfolk and I didn't want to leave without seeing Nightjar. Fortunately for me I had just bought my copy of Birds. In it were some articles about different places to go around England for good birding, and in it was a place in Norfolk. The place was Roydon Common. The wife didn't want to go, so I made plans to go myself. I programmed it into the sat nav and away I went.

I got to Roydon Common about 19.30 hrs. It wasn't that difficult to find. I pulled into the car park and saw a couple eating fish and chips, after asking them if I was in the right place I was off. I was a little nervous been on my own as the couple I'd ask in the car park said that the common was crawling with Adders.

As soon as I got onto the common I saw an Hen Harrier been houded by swallows, which was amazing because I didn't expect it. After that it was quiet for a while, I saw a Magpie and could hear allsorts in the heath but nothing to see. I did get to see hundreds of crows roosting in the trees across the common, which was a preety wonderful sight. They just seem to turn the trees black. I also watched the swallows feeding on the afids for a while. It was starting to get dark and I was in two minds whether to go home or continue, after all I wasn't sure were to look. In the magazine it said walk onto the heath and wait for the Nightjars to come to you.

I waited and waited until about 21.00 hrs. Then a white flash past me like a ghost. I got my bins on it straight away and it was a Barn Owl. I couldn't believe my luck, I'd been trying to see one all week and failing badly. I watched it for a while. Then I was disturbed by a churring sound. First one then two, then all around me, I could also here the coo-ik sound discribed in the magazine. I daren't move for fear of scareing them off (or been biten by an Adder). It seemed like an eternity but I couldn't see any Nightjar. I moved in towards were I thought I heard them calling and it went quiet.

I was beginning to think that I had blown it, then I saw one. It just glided effortlessly by me. Then another seem to float past me the other way. I was thrilled, I couldn't believe it. Then from nowhere they were all over. I must of counted 11, and I didn't think I was going to see one. If that wasn't enough I felt as though there was somthing above me. When I looked up I saw what I think was a Short Eared Owl (can't be certain though, it was getting really dark). It was circuling me like a vulture would a carcass. I nearly fell over trying to follow it round. Then it just flew off into the darkness.

The walk back was just as amazing, as Nightjars just kept floating past, and every dark patch i saw on the floor panicked me, I kept thinking there were Adders. By the time I'd got back to the car the adrenalin was flowing and my heart was pumping so fast I thought I was going to have an Heart Attack. This is a night that will always stick in my mind. I just wish I had a camera that could take pictures in the dark, for when I get old and senile.

This NWT site will be on my list everytime I visit Norfolk. Only next time I'll take a torch for when I'm on the way back.
BRILLIANT!!

I used to go to Roydon Common,but found an even better site ar Sandringham,where the birds seemed to appear a bit earlier than at Roydon.Even had them sat on telegraph poles above my head.

Norfolk

mikealison said:
Today was our final day in Norfolk and I didn't want to leave without seeing Nightjar. Fortunately for me I had just bought my copy of Birds. In it were some articles about different places to go around England for good birding, and in it was a place in Norfolk. The place was Roydon Common. The wife didn't want to go, so I made plans to go myself. I programmed it into the sat nav and away I went.

I got to Roydon Common about 19.30 hrs. It wasn't that difficult to find. I pulled into the car park and saw a couple eating fish and chips, after asking them if I was in the right place I was off. I was a little nervous been on my own as the couple I'd ask in the car park said that the common was crawling with Adders.

As soon as I got onto the common I saw an Hen Harrier been houded by swallows, which was amazing because I didn't expect it. After that it was quiet for a while, I saw a Magpie and could hear allsorts in the heath but nothing to see. I did get to see hundreds of crows roosting in the trees across the common, which was a preety wonderful sight. They just seem to turn the trees black. I also watched the swallows feeding on the afids for a while. It was starting to get dark and I was in two minds whether to go home or continue, after all I wasn't sure were to look. In the magazine it said walk onto the heath and wait for the Nightjars to come to you.

I waited and waited until about 21.00 hrs. Then a white flash past me like a ghost. I got my bins on it straight away and it was a Barn Owl. I couldn't believe my luck, I'd been trying to see one all week and failing badly. I watched it for a while. Then I was disturbed by a churring sound. First one then two, then all around me, I could also here the coo-ik sound discribed in the magazine. I daren't move for fear of scareing them off (or been biten by an Adder). It seemed like an eternity but I couldn't see any Nightjar. I moved in towards were I thought I heard them calling and it went quiet.

I was beginning to think that I had blown it, then I saw one. It just glided effortlessly by me. Then another seem to float past me the other way. I was thrilled, I couldn't believe it. Then from nowhere they were all over. I must of counted 11, and I didn't think I was going to see one. If that wasn't enough I felt as though there was somthing above me. When I looked up I saw what I think was a Short Eared Owl (can't be certain though, it was getting really dark). It was circuling me like a vulture would a carcass. I nearly fell over trying to follow it round. Then it just flew off into the darkness.

The walk back was just as amazing, as Nightjars just kept floating past, and every dark patch i saw on the floor panicked me, I kept thinking there were Adders. By the time I'd got back to the car the adrenalin was flowing and my heart was pumping so fast I thought I was going to have an Heart Attack. This is a night that will always stick in my mind. I just wish I had a camera that could take pictures in the dark, for when I get old and senile.

This NWT site will be on my list everytime I visit Norfolk. Only next time I'll take a torch for when I'm on the way back.
BRILLIANT!!

Hi,
I,ve realy enjoyed reading about your trip to Norfolk I,ve been going to go all year but keep putting it of. I,ll see if I can getwithin the next two to three weeks. Once again many thanks.
Regards Stan. :clap: :clap:

Geoff Pain said:
I used to go to Roydon Common,but found an even better site ar Sandringham,where the birds seemed to appear a bit earlier than at Roydon.Even had them sat on telegraph poles above my head.

Where abouts at sandringham is the site. I'm going back to Norfolk in October.
Cheers
Mike

stanacko said:
Hi,
I,ve realy enjoyed reading about your trip to Norfolk I,ve been going to go all year but keep putting it of. I,ll see if I can getwithin the next two to three weeks. Once again many thanks.
Regards Stan. :clap: :clap:

Thanks Stan, I wouldn't put your trip off. Norfolk is an amazing place.
regards mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back