• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question from a newie (1 Viewer)

cri77ers

I understand there are now binoculars available that have a camera built on so you can photograph what you see through the glasses. I don't even know what they would be called but would certainly like to learn more. Where, how, who, how much, etc. etc. Can you steer me in the right direction for more information please.

Would appreciate your expert advice.

Sue

cri77ers said:
I understand there are now binoculars available that have a camera built on so you can photograph what you see through the glasses. I don't even know what they would be called but would certainly like to learn more. Where, how, who, how much, etc. etc. Can you steer me in the right direction for more information please.

Would appreciate your expert advice.

Sue
Hi Sue, I'd steer you away from purchasing these for a while.... they may be the shape of things to come but the current models are rather unsatisfactory in their results and actual usefullness for taking photos of birds.

I was sent a review pair a year or so ago and they were absolutely hopeless, they didn't possess great magnification and the camera section wouldn't focus on anything closer than about 50ft ... therefore unless you had an Ostrich in front of you, the bird would be tiny in the final image.

Later models have improved slightly but they are still little more than a gimmick in terms of quality and practicality.

As I say, things will get better but not for a little while at least.

Regards,
Andy

Hi Sue.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I had some of these bought for Christmas last year, mine are called "Viewcatcher" they are a 8x30 Binocular and a 1280x1024 (hi) 640x480 (lo) resolution.
My advice to anyone is don't bother getting them ! Although the binoculars had very good definition the minimum you can take a picture from is 15m so if you are taking a small bird you are wasting the shot ( The box has a picture of a sparrow which is supposed to be taken with them - I don't know how they managed it) if you are taking a picture of a Duck, Swan or Goose or some other larger birds or wildlife you should be ok. In fact on one occasion I took about 80 shots and only 2 were worth keeping. I would say it is better for scenery shots.
As mine were purchased in the UK I am a bit unsure of where you would get them, but one place to try is QVC as if you didn't like them you can always return them within the 30 days !
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp...=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=binoculars&Submit4=Go
or the other option is ebay.

BTW Which part of Utah are you from we have a really great friend in Southern Utah.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back