• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brief Birding in Late June (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
As usual, birding is never the primary attraction or activity for our vacations, but it is still nice to insert a few mornings here and there, particularly for interesting hotspots. We will be visiting in late June/early July and be there for a total of 8-9 days, so perhaps two mornings of birding. eBird has me thinking Oued Souss and/or Souss Massa NP near Agadir and Irfan NP south of Marrakesh. Still not sure if we'll have our own car or not (I learned to drive in the US, so my abilities to deal with true insanity on the roads is limited somewhat and I learned to drive a tank before a car, so I am not skilled with the manual transmission), but I'm sure that decision would strongly influence the final decision. Is it possible I might be able to self-guide or would I be best served hiring a local guide?

Oued Souss is located in the Souss Massa NP, and for me Oued Massa is much more interesting (ducks, Moroccan Cormorant, Black-crowned Tchagra...). Bald Ibis can be tricky as they move around in relatively big flocks and is dependent on luck, but there are a number of local bird guides who can help locate them.

Ifrane National Park (note the spelling) and the Middle Atlas forests in general is very interesting for a number of North African endemics (Maghreb Wood Owl, Levaillant's woodpecker, Atlas Flycatcher, African Chaffinch...). Red-knobbed Coot, African Blue Tit, Moussier Restart, Atlas Long-legged Buzzard... should be easy to see here and elsewhere.

As for driving, avoid big cities (where driving can sometimes be crazy in rush hours) and you should be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back