• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The New Naturalist series (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
I was going to tack this on to another NN thread, but the "latest" was by Andy over twelve months ago. I recently came across Coch-y-Bonddu Books, Machynlleth, Powys SY20 8DG, and was able to get from them NN17, NN51, and NN124 at very reasonable prices; their service was very efficient; the conditions of the books had been properly described in their on-line catalogue, were well-packed, and arrived within 48 hours. I am not in the habit of recommending booksellers, but make an exception on this occasion, being extremely pleased with this new addition to my suppliers.

A well known seller (to me anyway) James and obviously of good repute.

Anyone looking for the newest additions, especially prepublication offers, could do a lot worse than Speedyhen, although, at least one person I know has stated that he wasn't happy with the quality of the packaging, mine have thus far been fine.

https://www.speedyhen.com/Books

I will only recommend sellers who have consistently offered a good price and reliable service to me, over a period of time.

Last edited:
I've decided to stop buying New Naturalists after recently buying 'The Burren'. I can no longer justify the expense for what they have become: I flicked through the whole book and worked out that when you take out the photos (at least one of which appears twice in the book) there are only 252 pages of text in a 464 page book, factor in that brand new they are currently retailing at £65 for the hardback (although I've never paid full price for any of mine) I think that's quite poor value for money.

I've decided to stop buying New Naturalists after recently buying 'The Burren'. I can no longer justify the expense for what they have become: I flicked through the whole book and worked out that when you take out the photos (at least one of which appears twice in the book) there are only 252 pages of text in a 464 page book, factor in that brand new they are currently retailing at £65 for the hardback (although I've never paid full price for any of mine) I think that's quite poor value for money.

Agree to a point but many people who buy them are collectors and see beyond the cost, almost an addiction!

You correctly point out that the cost of most new titles is £60-65 but I rarely ever pay more than £45 (free postage too) by taking advantage of prepublication offers such as offered by the seller I linked to above.

Some people habitually purchase from sellers such as NHBS, that's up to them but you will usually pay the full price plus postage in doing so.

I've also found Wordery to be competitive in relation new titles.

https://wordery.com/

If you're actually buying them to read, thorougly, why not go for the paperback version to keep the cost down?

Last edited:
Eschewing value for money, I believe most NN aficionados collect the series for the sheer pleasure of owning, holding and absorbing the various volumes. Forgive the lyrical waxing, but you cannot beat a stately row of NN titles smiling down from the bookshelf.

Last edited:
Eschewing value for money, I believe most NN aficionados collect the series for the sheer pleasure of owning, holding and absorbing the various volumes. Forgive the lyrical waxing, but you cannot beat a stately row of NN titles smiling down from the bookshelf.

Totally agree.

Portland Bill Obs will be having a big sale of books soon I’m told, worth keeping an eye on. Think it will be early April if I remember rightly. Aim is to clear a load of stock, they just hold too much. NNs will no doubt feature.

Portland Bill Obs will be having a big sale of books soon I’m told, worth keeping an eye on. Think it will be early April if I remember rightly. Aim is to clear a load of stock, they just hold too much. NNs will no doubt feature.

Cheers for that Andy or should I say'cheers ma Mears"......;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back