• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Nest Site for Seattle Anna's Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

I'm ready for another update, Robert! LOL!! This is just so fascinating to me! How's the momma doing? Has your weather improved?

Julie

I'm ready for another update, Robert! LOL!! This is just so fascinating to me! How's the momma doing? Has your weather improved?

Julie

13 April 2008:

Good morning, Julie ...

Well, happily all is progressing normally. Anna is still sitting on her nest. No hatchlings seen poking their needle beaks over the nest rim yet, so I suspect they haven't hatched yet. Will post photos of that event upon first sighting.

Spring weather has arrived, with yesterday's highs in the low 70s (the earlier snow was a tad unusual, though always possible that time of year).

Thanks for your continued interest.

Stay tuned,
Robert

Robert,
Thanks for the update. Glad to see Mom has some decent weather as she maintains her vigil on the eggs.

I will definitely STAYED TUNED!! We had weather in the 70's until this weekend and now we're back to 40's and 50's with a rain/snow mix today! I've heard my hummingbirds and caught a glimpse of one the other day zipping over the roof, but yet to be home when or if they've been to the feeders. I'd love it if one would decide to build a nest around here this year. I found an empty one about 4 years ago in our wisteria, but the wind took it down so I'll have to watch for other locations.

Thanks again for the update!

Julie

Update: 15 April 2008 ---

We have hatchlings! Two, I think. I'll give them a day or two before attempting photos.

If you look to the left in the meantime, at my avatar, you'll notice a big beautiful German Shepherd named Jack. I lost him a little over a year ago after a long and happy life. I joined BirdForum a couple of weeks later, in part to "keep busy and move along".

Today is Jack's birthday, a birthday now shared with Anna's hatchlings.

Cheers to all,

Robert / Seattle

That's brilliant news Robert! B :) Congrats Mr and Mrs Anna. :-OIs Mr still around of is his roll finished? Keep us posted.

Sorry about Jack.

Joanne

Update: 17 April 2008

CORRECTION!

With apologies, what I interpreted from a distance as "hatchling activity in the nest" proved to be little more than a mass of feathers lining the nest and blowing haphazardly in the wind. I should have been more careful in my observations but didn't want to disturb the "nestlings".

I approached with the mirror trick this morning to confirm that all was well, because I hadn't noticed Anna on the nest at all. Both eggs are present and accounted for, but Anna has been gone for over an hour. This is of grave concern to me as it isn't exactly warm out today (high 40's Farenheit).

More as known.

Well Robert.....it's 20 days since she laid two eggs. That sounds about right for incubation, right? An hour seems like a long time to be gone at this stage......:-C I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Joanne

Well Robert.....it's 20 days since she laid two eggs. That sounds about right for incubation, right? An hour seems like a long time to be gone at this stage......:-C I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Joanne

20 days seems about right to me, too, Joanne. I've seen her, (or another female?), flitting about the yard this morning - but no nest-sitting for the last 4 hours that I've been watching. Maybe this is part of a hatch-inducing strategy?

Very strange. I'll keep you posted.

(By the way, thanks for the earlier words about Jack. Very kind of you).

Robert

I'm waiting here with baited breath Robert. I'm not sure what scenario takes place this close to hatching time.

Thank you for keeping us posted, Robert. Hopefully all will be well.
I too am sorry about Jack, I know it is hard to lose such a great companion. We've lost 2 wonderful shepherds over the last two years. Both had a long and lively life, as I'm sure Jack did.

hope those hummers hatch soon Robert ! - What an amazing nest they made there - incredible how it mimics the log feeder you have set up. And cheers to Jack too ! Looked a super doggie and friend. Take care dude

Update: 18 April 2008

Sad news folks. Anna did not return to her nest at all yesterday, leaving the two unhatched eggs to their fate. Last night was the first night she did not sleep on the nest since she built it, so the eggs are clearly not viable at this point.

The question is, did she leave them earlier because she detected they were not viable or did she meet up with an unexpected hardship keeping her from her incubation duties. A female hummer was seen on three occasions yesterday, but I could not determine if it was her or the other female known to be in my yard lately. No hummers at the feeders at all today so far, but when they do show up I'll look for clues to her fate in the number, behaviour and distribution of the females.

Ah, nature. Cruel mistress.

Sad news indeed:-C, Robert. Perhaps she decided the eggs were not viable and she'd sat long enough. Wonder if they will have another attempt with a new clutch. It's surely early still.

Sad news indeed:-C, Robert. Perhaps she decided the eggs were not viable and she'd sat long enough. Wonder if they will have another attempt with a new clutch. It's surely early still.

Thanks for the optimistic perspective, Joanne.

I'll continue to observe the site and immediate surroundings for a few days to see if any clues arise.

Kenn Kaufman, in "Lives of North American Birds", notes that the incubation period for Anna's Hummingbird is 14-19 days. So we were certainly in the expected timeframe to see our hatchlings by now.

Right now though, I'm more concerned with the fate of Anna. It would be comforting to at least know she didn't meet with an untimely tragedy.

More as known,

Robert

I've been mostly a lurker at forum but I've tried to follow this thread with great interest...Sorry to hear about this nesting situation, hopefully your little Anna's will return and perhaps try another brood?? All the best, Ruth

Sad news indeed, Robert. Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully, Anna will return.

sorry about the nest Robert - seems a fragile world they live in . At least you gave them a chance in your yard. Like others have said , mabey a 2nd chance. Beautiful pics and story anyhow dude - take care ,dave

Aww...that's so disappointing and sad! I hope perhaps there's still a chance they're in there and viable, but I'm always the optimist!

Belated Happy Birthday to Jack! He would have liked having one of those little darlings named after him, I believe! LOL!

Keep us posted!

Julie

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back