• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL Swarovision (1 Viewer)

Bob I did the same as you, used the $20 off and bought the winged eyecups for my Swaro 8x30SLC and liked them better than the original. Like you my rainguard doesn't work with the winged eyecups. Try the one handed focusing with this binocular. I am not going to say what I thought of the differences between the Swaro and the 8x32LX.

Say it anyway, I'm not going to argue with you about it. If it weren't for the veiling glare they would probably be tied. I think part of that is due to the shorter ER and the fact that it really requires for me a proper placement of the binocular with our MOLCET technique. :smoke: Mooreso than with the Nikon. ;)

Bob

Bob I did the same as you, used the $20 off and bought the winged eyecups for my Swaro 8x30SLC and liked them better than the original. Like you my rainguard doesn't work with the winged eyecups. Try the one handed focusing with this binocular. I am not going to say what I thought of the differences between the Swaro and the 8x32LX.

I have no problems saying what I thought of the differences between the Swaro and the 8x32LX because I didn't recently sell my LX to another BF member. :) Also, because I know that personal preferences will determine which bin is better for a potential buyer, more than any serious gap in quality of one over the other.

However, I have a mouthful of Chex Mix so let me get a soft drink from the snack bar, and I'll be right back.....

Intermission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXK2yyjerro

Okay, we're back. Is my mic on?

Here's my non-technical take on the differences, using only my amazing 20/10 eagle eyeballs as references (with two pairs of eyeglasses).

Ergos: I always like to start with ergonomics, because if you can't hold an 8x bin steady, it's not worth holding, and if you have to mount an 8x midsized bin, it's not worth keeping. Ergos are always subjective, because all hands were not created equal, despite what the US Constitution says about the whole person.

8x32 LX: The small handed will probably get on well with the 8x32 LX. Thumb indents would have helped make the LX/HG/Premier more useful for a variety of hand sizes. For this Big Handed Birder, the 8x32 LX ergos gets two thumbs down (underneath the barrels). The full sized LX/LXL bins have better ergos for larger hands, but also have no thumb indents.

8x30 SLCNeu: While I preferred the deep thumb contours on the Alt body, I found the Neu body comfortable to hold. The armoring on the Neu version has a nice, tactile feel. The LX also scores well in this regard, better than the LXL, which has rubber that is too soft and scuffs easily. Although I liked the SLC's ergos for a closed bridge roof, because the focuser is in the wrong place for my hands, I only give the SLC's ergonomics one thumb up.

NB: I couldn't hold the SLCs steady with one hand even when I had to take a wicked leak. I would assert that such an amazing feat of balance with an closed bridge roof requires either rock steady hands or an uncanny ability to ignore the shakes.

Optics:

Contrast: LX
Color saturation: LX
CA control: SLC
Lower astigmatism: SLC
Apparent Brightness: SLC (slightly)
Depth Perception: SLC
Edge sharpness: LX on horizontal edges, SLC overall
Overall sharpness (I did say this was non-technical, so I'm not using the "R" word): LX

Focusers:

Speed: LX
Smoothness: LX
Ease of reach: LX
Precision: LX
Comfort: LX

NB: The 8x30 SLCNeu has an objective end focuser, which has to be turned by the ring finger or pinky finger. Not everyone's cup 'o tea, but this arrangement allows one to focus w/out lifting one's cap (or so I've read) and also hold the bin with one hand for at least one person (see comments below). The focuser turns smoothly in one direction, though not as fast as the LX, but harder in the other direction, an arrangement I did not find appealing, particularly while having to use my ring fingers to focus!

NBB: Nikon 8x32 LX focusers are not all the same. My first sample's focuser was too loose, making it hard to hit the target w/out overshooting. The second sample was pretty much perfect. Turned fast but precisely. Unfortunately, fast focusers can create a perception of shallow depth of field, so there is a trade-off.

Diopter adjustment: Tough call here. Depends on what you like. For on the focuser adjustment, the SLCneu has the best set up I've tried. Push and turn. For a right EP diopter setting, the LX is very well done, with a pop up ring that doesn't have click stops but turns smoothly and you push down to lock . I liked both diopter adjustments, but given my poor focus accommodation, and the shallow depth perception of midsized roofs, I prefer the SLC's on the focuser diopter since it can be adjusted quickly without taking your hands off the bins.

Eyecups

Comfort: SLC
Durability: SLC
Stays put in between down and up: Tie

ER: LX

Less Image Blackout: LX

FOV: Tie goes to the SLC for being easier to see the entire FOV with the eyecups all the way up (for my eyes).

Smoothness while panning: SLC (LX has slight "rolling ball")

Close Focus: LX (no contest)

The LX focuses down to 6.5" for my eyes, not surprising since Nikon's close focus numbers are usually conservative. I used the LX's to view butterflies and bugs. I found the SLC's close focus longer than the specified 13'. Closer to 15' for my eyes. Butterflying? Only if it's Mothra.

Conclusion: Considering that the alphas are charging $2k or more these days for midsized bins, the 8x30 SLCNeu and 8x32 LX/LXL both represent a very good value, particularly if you can find a dealer who still has the $899 anniversary price on the SLC. LX refurbs can be had for $699. Some well known reviewer said that the 8x32 LX(L) is the best bargain in quality 8x32s. Unless you can find an 8x32 EDG for $999, I'd have to agree.

The biggest differences to note btwn the two bins are the speed, smoothness, and location of the focusers and the close focus distances. Beyond that, it's a toss up. Both have very good image quality. The LX has a slight edge in image contrast and color saturation but the SLC's not far behind and has other attributes that might make it a better choice for some people such as being able to focus w/out tilting your hat back to expose your bald head.

Hope this helped somebody. Now back to our regularly scheduled program - "The Billion Dollar Binoculars".

Brock

Last edited:
Bob, I "train" myself not to see pincushion, I don't look for it.;) And as you said there is not much anyway. The rolling ball that Brocknrolling talks about I have no problem with that. I thought the edges are better in my sample Swaro SLC neu compared to the 8x32 LX I had, not by much. I did notice about 200 yds. from my place a Hawk on the telephone wire looked better in the LX. CA is well controlled in the SLcompact compared to the 8x32LX. To my eyes the Swaro was brighter. The deal breaker for me is the focuser located where it should be in the Swaro and the lighter wt. even compared to the LXL;)

"because I didn't recently sell my LX to another BF member. :)"

Brock why would you say I sold the LX to another BF member when you know I traded the LX for the 8SE? Paul seems happy with the Nikon 8x32LX. My opinion on the LX compared to the Swaro SLC neu is that the Swaro is better.

I can't wait to go to the Lost Creek Shoe Shop to try out the new Swarovision.

Last edited:
That's why it's really a question of how much one is prepared to spend for incremental improvements, or how much "RB" trade-off one is prepared to accept for flatter field. It's all highly-dependent on personal taste, and unfortunately leads to disagreements between fine gentlemen;). Check them in a store if you can to decide if they're for you. Ultimately they're only binoculars, and yes, you can see as much with far cheaper models. Whether you can see as sharply or as comfortably is another matter. My bottom line is that if the Binocular Fairy appeared and told me that because of past misdemeanours, I had to surrender all my binoculars but one, with which I would have to make do for the rest of the time allotted to me, I'd beg to keep the Swarovision 8.5x42.

2nd that Sancho. No other binocular and I have had ALOT of them have impressed as much as the Swarovision. I think some people are trying to talk themselves out of buying them because they are so expensive. They are without a doubt to my eyes the best binoculars available right now. I thought the Zeiss FL were good but every time I use them I use the Swarovision's they amaze me. I got rid of all my binoculars except for the Swarovisions 8.5x42's except for a pair of Nikon Prostaff 8x25's which are my favorite compacts for concerts and short trips. Why waste time with all the other binoculars. To all those sitting on the fence go try them and compare them to your present binoculars. The Swarovison's will knock your socks off. They are the only roof prism that I can say is BETTER than the Nikon SE and EII and that is saying alot because those two are awesome binoculars. To make a roof prism that is better than the two best porro's in the world is a great achievement.

2nd that Sancho. No other binocular and I have had ALOT of them have impressed as much as the Swarovision. I think some people are trying to talk themselves out of buying them because they are so expensive. They are without a doubt to my eyes the best binoculars available right now. I thought the Zeiss FL were good but every time I use them I use the Swarovision's they amaze me. I got rid of all my binoculars except for the Swarovisions 8.5x42's except for a pair of Nikon Prostaff 8x25's which are my favorite compacts for concerts and short trips. Why waste time with all the other binoculars. To all those sitting on the fence go try them and compare them to your present binoculars. The Swarovison's will knock your socks off. They are the only roof prism that I can say is BETTER than the Nikon SE and EII and that is saying alot because those two are awesome binoculars. To make a roof prism that is better than the two best porro's in the world is a great achievement.

Dennis,

I think you got the it the wrong way around. The real great achievement was Nikon being able to make porros a dozen years ago that are as good (or nearly as good) as roof prism binoculars being made today. To take over a decade to design roof prism binoculars as good as porros and charge FIVE TIMES THE COST FOR THEM is by comparison a lesser achievement, IMO. I think it shows that we've been taken to the cleaners.

Also, mark your words: "They are without a doubt to my eyes the best binoculars available right now.". Let's see what the Binocular of the Month Club comes up with in six months or in a year or two from now.

If the Teutonic Optics Wizards can't top their latest act, then perhaps we will see a cladogenesis branching into new digital optics and continued incremental changes for higher prices glass optics.

Brock

I think the fundamental point for most sensible people is the quality/cost consideration. I have never spent more than £425 on a binocular in my life (Zeiss 10x40BGAT years ago). My used Nikon 8x42HG was a bargain at £249, as was my Nikon 8x32HG for £311, and Zeiss 10x25 dielectric Victory for £275. The prospect of a single binocular costing me £1,000+ is, quite frankly, unreasonable. I could afford it, but I couldn't justify it (my wife wouldn't be impressed either). I'd rather have a collection of binoculars, acquired over a period of time, each with its own personality and charm, in the same way my four old cars, to me, are more interesting and less costly to buy than one new bling-mobile, with the added advantage of variety being the spice of life: now, which one this time...? And if an exceptional porro like the Nikon SE, with just about all the qualities of a new alpha roof model (and maybe more) can be bought at a fraction of the price, you'd be daft not to buy it, and keep it. That's why I still have, for example, a Zeiss 8x50BGA Octarem, made in the mid 1980s, because it's so good and I enjoy using it. Of course, if you want just one binocular and can afford to pay $2,000 for it, that's fine by me too...

I think the fundamental point for most sensible people is the quality/cost consideration. I have never spent more than £425 on a binocular in my life (Zeiss 10x40BGAT years ago). My used Nikon 8x42HG was a bargain at £249, as was my Nikon 8x32HG for £311, and Zeiss 10x25 dielectric Victory for £275. The prospect of a single binocular costing me £1,000+ is, quite frankly, unreasonable. I could afford it, but I couldn't justify it (my wife wouldn't be impressed either). I'd rather have a collection of binoculars, acquired over a period of time, each with its own personality and charm, in the same way my four old cars, to me, are more interesting and less costly to buy than one new bling-mobile, with the added advantage of variety being the spice of life: now, which one this time...? And if an exceptional porro like the Nikon SE, with just about all the qualities of a new alpha roof model (and maybe more) can be bought at a fraction of the price, you'd be daft not to buy it, and keep it. That's why I still have, for example, a Zeiss 8x50BGA Octarem, made in the mid 1980s, because it's so good and I enjoy using it. Of course, if you want just one binocular and can afford to pay $2,000 for it, that's fine by me too...

Yes, but for birding the objective is the best view of the bird isn't it? The Swarovision gives me that. The best view of the bird I have ever had. If you could sell all your binoculars and pop for the Swarovision and get a more beautiful view of the bird you are looking at you would have to be a fool not to. Let me tell you the Swarovision is better than the SE. That bird will look better through them and that is what is important.

Dennis has a point there. I'm less interested in an interesting collection of stuff than I am in looking at birds. The SV is the first binocular I've owned that I can't really find any fault with. Well, OK, I'm not a fan of the rainguard, but an FL guard is a perfect substitute.

In a way, it's a little sad because I now have no interest in looking at other binoculars, at least not full-size. Why bother? There's nothing out there as good, and probably nothing will come along that will ever be appeciably better. As a lifetime investment I consider it a bargain. Sounds pretty sensible to me.

The 8x32 SE is, of course, still a stunner, but the SV does best it in some ways. The CA is reduced, the view is less finicky and you can let your eyes roam across it without blackouts, they're brighter, waterproof, have better eyecups, etc. Interestingly, I can't see much difference in the 3D quality--they look the same to me. I can hold the SV steadier than the SE, despite the extra magnification. The extra mag makes more of a difference than I would have thought by the way. I like it. Overall, the SV has the most relaxed view I've come across. I suppose exit pupil plays a role, but the SV is just splendid--no fuss at all and when you're chasing warblers around as I have been doing that really helps.

But so far I can't bring myself to sell the SE's either, although how much use they'll get is a question. They are really a remarkably close second to the SV if you don't mind the foibles.

Mark

James and Mark have nicely outlined the "billion dollar binoculars" debate. Two different philosophies. Spice of Life vs. Optical Nirvana. Becoming is Superior to Being vs. Being is Superior to Becoming.

I used to be in the Spice of Life camp, and at one point owned a dozen bins including 10 top bananas: 8x32 SE, 12x50 SE, 8x30 EII, 10x35 EII, 8-16x40 XL Zoom, CZJ 8x50 Octarem, Fuji 6x30 FMTR-SX, two 804 HR Audubons (MC, FMC), and a partridge in a pair tree (8x32 LX).

If the SV EL had been around when I was "bin rich," I could have sold them all and bought an SV EL (if the "rolling ball" didn't bother me). But being a spice of life kinda guy like James, I probably wouldn't have.

But now I grow weary of the chase and want to settle down (I guess this eventually happens to all men, just took me longer than most). However, during the past 5 years, a stark divergence has occurred. My income has gone down while the price of top bananas has skyrocketed.

So the only way I can achieve optical nirvana (IF the SV EL works for me and IF I feel about it as others do) is to take a loan out from the Native Americans at Western Sky Financial (APR on the $2600 loan is 139.34%!) since my credit score is too low for a bank loan, thanks to Bernie Madoff and the brokers, bankers, and insurers who robbed us blind legally. Naturally, I wouldn't do that.

I'm also beginning to wonder if being is actually superior to becoming. Notice that Mark now feels "sad" that his journey has come to an end. That's understandable. After dreaming of something for a long, long time, and to finally have it realized in your hands is bound to produce postpartum depression. You could take some anti-depressants, but then Tom Cruise would get in your face. :)

Reminds me of the Kink's lyrics from the song "Shangri-la"

Now that you've found your paradise
This is your Kingdom to command
You can go outside and polish your car
Or sit by the fire in your Shangri-la
Here is your reward for working so hard
Gone are the lavatories in the backyard
Gone are the days when you dreamed of that car
You just want to sit in your Shangri-la

Thanks Mark for that well balanced commentary. Interesting point about the 3-D effect. I didn't find the 2001 EL had as good 3-D effect as the 8x32 SE, nor was it as good optically. It was also too big and heavy.

But the SV ELs optics and body have been redesigned. That's a major consideration in justifying a price hike unlike other alphas, which are charging more for incremental changes (except for the SLC-HD, which is also a ground-up redesign).

However, being a white collar worker with a blue collar (non-union) income, my POV remains unchanged. $2,400 is too much for me to pay for optical nirvana even amortized over two lifetimes.

To begin with, I'm not a diehard birder, so Dennis' argument of getting the best view of the bird doesn't hold sway with me. Plus, the 8x30 EII gets me 90% there already. Add an ED element, and that's my optical nirvana.

I also use my bins for casual stargazing (when weather/skyglow conditions permit, which isn't often enough), for observing wildlife, and for general use. So it's not just about the best view of the bird for me.

I could buy one of the best 85mm fluorite scopes made (the Televue 85 APO) with the complete package, case, mounting ring, 2" Everbright diagonal, and a Radian EP for $2K. Use it as a spotting scope or for stargazing. That I can at least imagine in my dreams, but carrying around a $2,400 pair of binoculars is simply beyond my renter mentality. I get "sticker shock" when I hear a bin costs $2,400. It's a mad, mad, mad world.

However, I do believe when people say the SV EL is better than the SE. It has ED glass and more comfortable twist-up eyecups, and the ability to focus closer and w/out overlapping barrel shadows -- those improvements alone would make it better. But is it $1,900 better?

Well, as someone said, that's between you and your wallet and my wallet's got a hole in it.

Interesting reading, though.

Brock

Last edited:
Just a reminder. The change from the LX L to the EDG was not incremental. The EDG is a brand new binocular; redesigned in all respects and Japanese made. I don't know anything about industrial engineering or what ever the technology is called that is needed to make a new binocular from the ground up but there must be costs for new tooling involved that have to be factored into the price. Although it is probable that some were farmed out to other Japanese firms.

Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss made major changes a while back and added incremental improvements over time to their binoculars.

It also looks like Nikon is using the same new style change on the EDG 2 on some new less expensive models which may be made in China.

Bob

Dennis has a point there. I'm less interested in an interesting collection of stuff than I am in looking at birds. The SV is the first binocular I've owned that I can't really find any fault with. Well, OK, I'm not a fan of the rainguard, but an FL guard is a perfect substitute.

In a way, it's a little sad because I now have no interest in looking at other binoculars, at least not full-size. Why bother? There's nothing out there as good, and probably nothing will come along that will ever be appeciably better. As a lifetime investment I consider it a bargain. Sounds pretty sensible to me.

The 8x32 SE is, of course, still a stunner, but the SV does best it in some ways. The CA is reduced, the view is less finicky and you can let your eyes roam across it without blackouts, they're brighter, waterproof, have better eyecups, etc. Interestingly, I can't see much difference in the 3D quality--they look the same to me. I can hold the SV steadier than the SE, despite the extra magnification. The extra mag makes more of a difference than I would have thought by the way. I like it. Overall, the SV has the most relaxed view I've come across. I suppose exit pupil plays a role, but the SV is just splendid--no fuss at all and when you're chasing warblers around as I have been doing that really helps.

But so far I can't bring myself to sell the SE's either, although how much use they'll get is a question. They are really a remarkably close second to the SV if you don't mind the foibles.

Mark

Your right on and I agree with everything you said. The SV's pretty much beat ever other binocular at everything so why mess around with the other stuff. It is weird how they can get the 3D view out of a roof prism isn't it? I have never seen a 3D view like the SV has outside of a porro. No fuss is a big plus with them also. I don't like the strap they come with because you can't shorten enough for me so I went to the older style Swarovski strap and even though they come with a nice case I am using my Tamrac binocular case because it is smaller and lighter. I ordered the winged eyecups to try to see If I like them. If I don't I will send them back.

Your right on and I agree with everything you said. The SV's pretty much beat ever other binocular at everything so why mess around with the other stuff. It is weird how they can get the 3D view out of a roof prism isn't it? I have never seen a 3D view like the SV has outside of a porro. No fuss is a big plus with them also. I don't like the strap they come with because you can't shorten enough for me so I went to the older style Swarovski strap and even though they come with a nice case I am using my Tamrac binocular case because it is smaller and lighter. I ordered the winged eyecups to try to see If I like them. If I don't I will send them back.

Dennis:

I also have another yes vote for the Swarovision. I want to call you on your thoughts recently on the Canon IS, in March, as they were then the "best" thing you have ever tried.

I made a mention with a post there about what is so great about the Image Stabilized Canon, pointing out the conservative side with optics being what is important, and there was a scurry of support , but the Canon posts have been quiet since.

It seems you and Sancho have moved on to the conventional side, I thought you would ! ;)

You have many opinions, so now what do you feel is important ?

Jerry

Dennis:

I also have another yes vote for the Swarovision. I want to call you on your thoughts recently on the Canon IS, in March, as they were then the "best" thing you have ever tried.

I made a mention with a post there about what is so great about the Image Stabilized Canon, pointing out the conservative side with optics being what is important, and there was a scurry of support , but the Canon posts have been quiet since.

It seems you and Sancho have moved on to the conventional side, I thought you would ! ;)

You have many opinions, so now what do you feel is important ?

Jerry

Yes. You know I was infatuated with the IS's at first because I could see more detail and you can but the optical artifacts just got to me after awhile and I got tired of them. They are still nice binoculars and the Canon 10x42 ISL is by far the best of the bunch but the weight got to me. You just get tired of holding them up for birding. You really have to stay under 30 oz. I feel for birding because you hold your binoculars so long. It's worse than hunting or other sports. The Swarovision's are just so much better than anything else optically I think that is what pulled me away from the Canon IS's. I want that view even if it shakes a little bit.

Last edited:
Yes. You know I was infatuated with the IS's at first because I could see more detail and you can but the optical artifacts just got to me after awhile and I got tired of them. They are still nice binoculars and the Canon 10x42 ISL is by far the best of the bunch but the weight got to me. You just get tired of holding them up for birding. You really have to stay under 30 oz. I feel for birding because you hold your binoculars so long. It's worse than hunting or other sports. The Swarovision's are just so much better than anything else optically I think that is waht pulled me away from the Canon IS's. I want that view even if it shakes a little bit.

I've owned large and small and many binoculars. Soon I will be in the 1 bin camp and its the 8x32el. Can't beat it for all round practicality and I'm sure it has a large percentage of the performance of the larger models. I don't like the CA if/when it appears so a Swarovision version I would likely prefer. My journey is not ended but its as close as I have ever been with the little 32

I do believe your views on your bin and you make me wish to try one if I ever have the chance but I don't think I would be swayed to larger again. Neither do I like smaller. The el 32 is the Goldiklocks Poridge at least for another while. With a Swarovision lack of CA upgrade I don't think I would ever look for another bin (except maybe I would want an 8 and 10) but of course while we all I am sure are expecting an update we will have to wait to actually see what occurs.

I've owned large and small and many binoculars. Soon I will be in the 1 bin camp and its the 8x32el. Can't beat it for all round practicality and I'm sure it has a large percentage of the performance of the larger models. I don't like the CA if/when it appears so a Swarovision version I would likely prefer. My journey is not ended but its as close as I have ever been with the little 32

I do believe your views on your bin and you make me wish to try one if I ever have the chance but I don't think I would be swayed to larger again. Neither do I like smaller. The el 32 is the Goldiklocks Poridge at least for another while. With a Swarovision lack of CA upgrade I don't think I would ever look for another bin (except maybe I would want an 8 and 10) but of course while we all I am sure are expecting an update we will have to wait to actually see what occurs.

I had the Swarovski 8x32 EL and if you could only have one binocular it is a good choice. The only thing that bothered me about it is CA because I am sensitive to it and for that reason I prefer the Zeiss 8x32 FL for a 32mm. The 42mm's are a little brighter at dusk and they are a little less fussy with eye placement so for me the Swarovision 8.5x42 works for one binocular although I too would like something a little lighter. If you can get something around 20oz. it is funny but you can hold it up forever but over 27oz and it starts getting tough. I too would really look at a 32mm Swarovision when they come out with them. It is kind of funny they came out with the 50mm Swarovision's before they made a 32mm. You would think the 32mm would be more popular but the 42mm serves hunters better. You should try the new 42mm Swarovision though because it doesn't feel as heavy as it is because of the exceptional balance and it really is a whole new binocular optically.

Some people drive a car in order to go from A to B. My wife's like that. Not interested in the car, per se, provided it's sporty looking, comfortable, automatic, smooth, quiet, reliable, and has leather seats. It's a Mazda because it's all those things and she liked the look of it. When she gets to B, she's arrived; purpose served, job done, that's it.
Others regard going from A to B as an excuse to drive a car, the driving being the raison d'etre. Arriving at B is not the primary aim, yet it's the outcome. I'm like that. The driving is the paramount pleasure, the arriving merely a bonus.
There's an old saying~ "It's better to travel hopefully, than to arrive". I'm apprehensive that, if I ever find the perfect binocular for me, where do I go from there? Is that it? To what do I then aspire? Or is enough as good as a feast? As long as I'm happy with what I have, isn't that enough? Do I really need 'better' (whatever that means)? Even if I did splash out to buy 'better', could I live with myself (and my wife)? Methinks therein lies the answer...!

Last edited:
Some people drive a car in order to go from A to B. My wife's like that. Not interested in the car, per se, provided it's sporty looking, comfortable, automatic, smooth, quiet, reliable, and has leather seats. It's a Mazda because it's all those things and she liked the look of it. When she gets to B, she's arrived; purpose served, job done, that's it.
Others regard going from A to B as an excuse to drive a car, the driving being the raison d'etre. Arriving at B is not the primary aim, yet it's the outcome. I'm like that. The driving is the paramount pleasure, the arriving merely a bonus.
There's an old saying~ "It's better to travel hopefully, than to arrive". I'm apprehensive that, if I ever find the perfect binocular for me, where do I go from there? Is that it? To what do I then aspire? Or is enough as good as a feast? As long as I'm happy with what I have, isn't that enough? Do I really need 'better' (whatever that means)? Even if I did splash out to buy 'better', could I live with myself (and my wife)? Methinks therein lies the answer...!

Well geez my favorite car to drive is a Porsche. I've had it for 24 years because the stupid thing rocks. You should have seen me zipping out to look at Trumpeter Swans two months ago. I looked like an idiot, by the way, because the swans were hand raised in Canada, tame as dogs. There I was with my "Swarovisions" and a working class family shows up in a pickup truck and starts hand feeding them pork rinds. I walked over, said I didn't know they were TAME, and petted the monsters. Gosh, they are big.

But does that mean I wouldn't fall head over heals for a grand spankin' new Porsche Boxster if I drove it? Probably not. My local dealer keeps tempting me, keeps ordering these things in, but I look at 'em and say no. I think he's frustrated. I will probably succumb in the end, same way I succumbed to the SV. At some point you gotta just admit that the best is the best.

Mark

Well geez my favorite car to drive is a Porsche. I've had it for 24 years because the stupid thing rocks. You should have seen me zipping out to look at Trumpeter Swans two months ago. I looked like an idiot, by the way, because the swans were hand raised in Canada, tame as dogs. There I was with my "Swarovisions" and a working class family shows up in a pickup truck and starts hand feeding them pork rinds. I walked over, said I didn't know they were TAME, and petted the monsters. Gosh, they are big.

But does that mean I wouldn't fall head over heals for a grand spankin' new Porsche Boxster if I drove it? Probably not. My local dealer keeps tempting me, keeps ordering these things in, but I look at 'em and say no. I think he's frustrated. I will probably succumb in the end, same way I succumbed to the SV. At some point you gotta just admit that the best is the best.

Mark

Man! That's and old Porsche. How many miles do have on it?

Man! That's and old Porsche. How many miles do have on it?

It's only got about 70k on it. Every time I consider trading it in on a new Boxster (or maybe a Cayman) I get a queasy feeling. It's like I'm about to sell off my brother or something. And I don't even HAVE a brother. What can you do? After 24 years I gotta keep it. It's a pretty big part of my life I guess, part of the family, tons of memories.

Mark

It's only got about 70k on it. Every time I consider trading it in on a new Boxster (or maybe a Cayman) I get a queasy feeling. It's like I'm about to sell off my brother or something. And I don't even HAVE a brother. What can you do? After 24 years I gotta keep it. It's a pretty big part of my life I guess, part of the family, tons of memories.

Mark

Wow! Less than 3K a year. That is definitely one of those fair weather cars.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back