• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nanjing question (1 Viewer)

darth bangkok

Hello,

I am currently in Nanjing for my study course. We finish each day at 12 so I'd like to go to Lao Shan one day after class next week to do some birding.

Can anyone help me with directions there by public transport (or taxi) and recommend an area to get off and hike around? Any info is much appreciated!!

Cheers
Brian

Hi Brian,

If you could read some Chinese. You may visit the website of Jiangsu Bird Watching Society and ask for help. http://www.jsbws.org/ It's a local birders' group based in Nanjing, the provincial capital of Jiangsu.

At this time, Asian Paradise-flycatcher and Fairy Pitta are super stars there :)

Hi Brian, welcome to Nanjing! We are planning to drive to Doushuai temple from the city center in these two days. You're welcome to come along. Leaving early in the morning is preferable, though.

The other easy place in Nanjing is the Botanical Gardens at Purple Mountain. The rose garden was where I saw most birds. I can send you a list of what I saw if you like....? It was late Summer last year..... PM me if you want more details.....

Hi Brian, welcome to Nanjing! We are planning to drive to Doushuai temple from the city center in these two days. You're welcome to come along. Leaving early in the morning is preferable, though.

Sorry Brian, we won't be able to make the trip to Laoshan. Yes the Zhongshan Botanic Garden is one of the best places for birding in Nanjing, and the transport is pretty convenient. Bus Route 20 and the special route 3 for sightseeing arrive just at the door. Good luck!

Hi everyone and thanks for the answers!! The internet here is pretty bad and I haven't been able to get online since Saturday, so sorry for the delay.

Idealera, nice website, I love the Tibetan wolf picture!

Botanical Gardens is now on the agenda, so thanks for the tips. The map of Laoshan is not workign for me yet, so I will keep trying on that one.

Fly Young, thanks for the offer, sorry it didn't work out. I wouldn't be able to go in the morning either though, because of my class. Thanks for the bus route info. I know route 20 already, so the next challenge will be to find the sightseeing bus and figuring out how to say "Botanical Garden" in Chinese!

Hi everyone and thanks for the answers!! The internet here is pretty bad and I haven't been able to get online since Saturday, so sorry for the delay.

Idealera, nice website, I love the Tibetan wolf picture!

Botanical Gardens is now on the agenda, so thanks for the tips. The map of Laoshan is not workign for me yet, so I will keep trying on that one.

Fly Young, thanks for the offer, sorry it didn't work out. I wouldn't be able to go in the morning either though, because of my class. Thanks for the bus route info. I know route 20 already, so the next challenge will be to find the sightseeing bus and figuring out how to say "Botanical Garden" in Chinese!

HI Brian,

At this season in Nanjing, early in the morning is the best time for birding.
AND
Botanical Garden = zhi wu yuan = 植物园

how to say "Botanical Garden" in Chinese!

Over here, in deepest Norfolk, where there aren’t many speaker and readers of Mandarin, I would put the characters, as below, into GoogleTranslate.

Botanical Garden = zhi wu yuan = 植物园

You can then hear how to pronounce the phrase, by enabling the audio. I do not know whether this facility is available on the Chinese equivalent.

Alternatively, you might find someone to assist in or around your classes.

Idealera,

xiexie!!

Unfortunately, I will have to go for the evening "rush hour" even if its not as good as the morning as we start class at 8. I missed one class already so I don't want to miss another one.

Cheers
brian

Over here, in deepest Norfolk, where there aren’t many speaker and readers of Mandarin, I would put the characters, as below, into GoogleTranslate.

You can then hear how to pronounce the phrase, by enabling the audio. I do not know whether this facility is available on the Chinese equivalent.

Alternatively, you might find someone to assist in or around your classes.

Ok, I think I got it! 2nd, 4th, 2nd tone!

Thanks! :t:

Well, I made it to the Botanical Gardens this afternoon.

The stop on bus #20 is actually before the end. I went to the last stop then asked around and everyone kept telling me to get on #20, the one I had just gotten off of. The correct stop on the way up is right after the big lake. The lake is on the right with the city wall on the other side. The name of that street is Botanical Garden South. The garden is a bit further up the road and on the left, with reddish brick gates. On the right is another place with a blue color entrance.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

My meager list from about two hours at the gardens:

Common Magpie
Azure-winged Magpie
Red-billed Blue Magpie
Crested Myna
Oriental Turtle Dove
Spotted Dove
Common Blackbird
Blue Whistling Thrush
Great Tit
Masked Laughingthrush
Chinese Bulbul
Little Grebe
Common Pheasant
White Wagtail
Common Kingfisher

I also saw a Chinese Sparrowhawk at Xuanwu Lake Park yesterday and think I saw one today at the gardens.

Well, I made it to the Botanical Gardens this afternoon.

The stop on bus #20 is actually before the end. I went to the last stop then asked around and everyone kept telling me to get on #20, the one I had just gotten off of. The correct stop on the way up is right after the big lake. The lake is on the right with the city wall on the other side. The name of that street is Botanical Garden South. The garden is a bit further up the road and on the left, with reddish brick gates. On the right is another place with a blue color entrance.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

My meager list from about two hours at the gardens:

Common Magpie
Azure-winged Magpie
Red-billed Blue Magpie
Crested Myna
Oriental Turtle Dove
Spotted Dove
Common Blackbird
Blue Whistling Thrush
Great Tit
Masked Laughingthrush
Chinese Bulbul
Little Grebe
Common Pheasant
White Wagtail
Common Kingfisher

I also saw a Chinese Sparrowhawk at Xuanwu Lake Park yesterday and think I saw one today at the gardens.

good birding records in two hours

forgot to say the old Botanical Garden (the north one) has more birds

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back