• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

converters (1 Viewer)

will bowell

Will the wandering birder
Hi all,
Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I am just in the process of getting a Canon 20D and am think about the Sigman 500mm lens. I was wondering can you use Canon converters with this lens?

Thanks
Will

Hi Will
And welcome to the forum.

As a new user of the 20D I will try and answer your question and if I am wrong I am sure one of the other members will put us both right.

I believe the canon convertor will work with most other makes of lens presuming they are produced to work with an EF camera. As to how well it will work is another matter, you don't specify as to which Sigma 500 lens you are referring to. But as a rule for AF to work you need a lens of at least F4 for the EF2 and I think F5.6 for the EF1.4. The convertor will work with smaller apertures but in manual mode.

I use the EF2 with a Canon EF400 F5.6 and focus manually.

Hope this answers your query.

Pete

pete schofield said:
you don't specify as to which Sigma 500 lens you are referring to. But as a rule for AF to work you need a lens of at least F4 for the EF2 and I think F5.6 for the EF1.4. The convertor will work with smaller apertures but in manual mode.
Pete

Yeh, its the Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX lens that I am thinking about.

Will

will bowell said:
Yeh, its the Sigma 500mm F4.5 APO EX lens that I am thinking about.

Will
Nice lens, use one myself (Nikon, so no worries with tc's). There's a thread around here somewhere that describes use of this lens with the 10d and various teleconverters... I'll see if i can find it.
regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back