• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 50-500 v sigma 300/2.8 (1 Viewer)

gaviao-real

Hi,

anyone knows where to find a good review about the
Sigma AF 300/2.8 APO EX (HSM)??

I think i'll go for the 50-500 with canon 20d..

but who knows? ;)

thanx,Ron

Snappy
Fantastic pics mate!!!!!!! I think a lot of people (including myself) will be grateful to you for posting this excellent lens evaluation. And just when I thought I had decided on the Sigma 135-400mm, now if only I had the extra £300 neccesary to buy the Bigma :C
Thanks anyway.

Midge

Thanks for the photos Snappy I think you might have just made my mind up on my next lens purchase.(cracking photos)

Cheers Steve.

I thought I had decided on the Sigma 135-400mm, what a fool I was. After seeing Snappy's evaluation of the new Bigma I have just bitten the bullet and ordered one, hope it gets here quick as I have been following the progress of a family of GS Woodpeckers for a few days and I'm sure the youngster is going to leave the security of it's hole very soon. So thanks for the great test Snappy, glad I saw it before going for the other lens.
Midge

Hi Midge,

to be fair to the smaller lens, the 135-400 can produce some cracking images too.

Must admit though, that Snappy's work has completely derailed me (again!) - I was settled on the 135-400 as well!

;)

Mind you, according to something on the Warehouse Express website (until today!) there's a new DG version of the 135-400 due out any time - maybe that'll see the bar raised for that lens the way it was for the Bigma...

Keith
I know how you feel mate, I was sure I was commited to the 135-400, But, you never know when you may need that extra 100mm eh?
Well the lens arrived this lunchtime, only ordered yesterday morning!
What can I say, it's built like a tank (I wont be handholding it thats for sure), the weather is very overcast this afternoon but I have been in the garden doing some test shots and it autofocuses like lightning, does'nt seem to hunt even in the aforementioned overcast conditions. The wife has got the car at work at the moment so I cant go and try and get pics of the GSW family, knowing my luck he will have left the nest today, but will keep my fingers crossed that the family will still be in situ tomorrow morning. I think this lens is going to be a lot of fun once we get used to it's use, I've never used a lens this big or heavy so I'm expecting teething troubles during the learning process, but that's the great thing about shooting digital, "film" costs nowt! Heading up to Northumberland in just over a week for a few days, Farne, St Mary's and anywhere else that may produce a good days birding, hopefully we will have the swing of the Bigma by then.
Midge

Last edited:
I'm sure that the lens will be superb Midge - I look forward to seeing the proof!

As it happens I've been onto Warehouse Express today about the DG version of the 135-400: the stock arrival has been delayed for an "indeterminate" amount of time and, they tell me, it'll cost something like twice what they're selling the current lens for.

So I've ordered the current one...

If I am, Greypoint is in big trouble..!

;)

Nah, I'm pretty certain that with a bit of practice I'll be fine, and some of the great images that Greypoint has conjured hand-held up with her Sigma/Nikon D70 combo (same camera I've got) suggest that if I do have a problem, I won't be able to blame the kit!

Last edited:
I bought mine from digitalcameras (Snappy's link), ordered at 10 in the morning by phone, it arrived at 12.30 the following day, can't get much quicker or more reliable than that. However it's typical of my luck that I then see it advertised cheaper elsewhere less than a week later :-C

Midge

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back