• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Bausch & Lomb Oldie (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
Just curious if anyone else has one of these. The only one I have actually seen is the one i still use.
Purchased in mid-1980's.

Bausch & Lomb 60mm "Elite" Long Eye Relief, with a fixed occular giving 22x. Water/fog proof. About 13" long.

The eye lense is about 1 1/3 inches wide. Apart from some CA when something is against a bright background, good views.
Kind of looks like this one:
http://www.birdbino.com/main/product.asp/catalog_name/Christophers/category_name/X4Q1QE3JJCGX9G3WWAXK2SHLV3/product_id/BU60Z

Except the eye end is wider, different surface, and of course, not a zoom.

Just curious if anyone else has one of these. The only one I have actually seen is the one i still use.
Purchased in mid-1980's.

Bausch & Lomb 60mm "Elite" Long Eye Relief, with a fixed occular giving 22x. Water/fog proof. About 13" long.

The eye lense is about 1 1/3 inches wide. Apart from some CA when something is against a bright background, good views.
Kind of looks like this one:
http://www.birdbino.com/main/product.asp/catalog_name/Christophers/category_name/X4Q1QE3JJCGX9G3WWAXK2SHLV3/product_id/BU60Z
Except the eye end is wider, different surface, and of course, not a zoom.

I remember looking at whatever versions of this scope were available from B&L and Nikon in the early 90s and wasn't impressed. Back then, this class of scopes lacked phase correction coatings, so performance was compromised in comparison to porro models. Still, these little scopes can be handy on long hikes. I bought the equally optically unimpressive (because of its lack of phase and multicoating) and even smaller 25x50 Leupold (which has nice, very long eye relief by the way) back in the late 1980s as an ultracompact travel scope. I don't use it anymore. The somewhat larger Nikon ED50 is so much better it has made the little Leupold obsolete for me.

--AP

Hi Jay, I used to have a non p-coated zoom model B&L 60mm spotter like you are describing. It was a nice light wt. scope but like Alexis said the one I had would limit out about 30/35x. I did like the screw on eyepiece cover.
Regards,Steve

I have one. I just recieved it from a long-time birding friend of mine--I also got her binoculars, which are amazing. I've been looking for the 22x60 Bausch and Lomb on the internet to see reviews, but can't find anywhere--what are your opinions on it? I'm debating on whether to get a newer one. I haven't used it yet, as I just got it a few days ago, and I'm lacking a tripod.

Is what you're talking about the Bausch&Lomb 61-2268 22x60mm?

Last edited:
I...Is what you're talking about the Bausch&Lomb 61-2268 22x60mm?

The "61-2268" number is engraved on the tiny tripod mounting block on mine.

Mine has written around it (around wider part of barrel couple inches behind the objective) Bausch & Lomb 22x60 Long Eye Relief. It is not armored. There is a an armored model, that lacks that wording, and rather has "Bausch & Lomb" on the side of the wider, objective housing part of the tube.
Fixed, eyepiece, 22x, very long, easy eye relief. The huge eyepiece end has a wide focusing ring around it. It should be "waterproof", mine is.

Got in late 1980's.

What do i think of it? Hmmm. Kind of a love/hate relationship with mine. I have up until a few years ago compared it side/by/side with the big name scopes, outside (at a vendor's setup at a hawk migration site I used to frequent). BTW: Used to see requests for these from hawk count sights. Probably because of the relative (to other scopes) ease of just grabbing the thing by hand for a quick ID. But I digress.
Maybe that is not a digression, actually. I got this scope when into my hawk watch phase, assistant counting, etc. Liked it so much, also have a stored away armoured model.
Anyway.

Comparisons.

Not as sharp or contrasty etc as the Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski/newer Kowa's/Nikon-ED's in the same 60mm-ish range.

A few days ago i was using it on a tripod (unusual) and looking at a Green Heron about 200' away, on a deadfall branch. Good feather detail & texture, good tonality, eye color and parts of eye, etc.

I think the upper end alpha scopes (above), exspecially the FL/ED models, blow it away. I doubt all the newer scopes made on the Rim would improve on it though, from what I have seen. They could though. A few week ago i was using an Astro-Tech 66mm refractor just before dusk (waiting for dark/astronomy) to look at some Sandhill Cranes. The image was the best scope view of a bird I have ever seen, even compated to the alpha scopes (but from memory). The AT 66ED's objective comes from Taiwan, if i remember correctly.

Anyway, the scope;

Chromatic aberration (CA), in full sunlight, bird against sky/cloud.

Very bright views, even compared to the above alpha scopes.

I wear eyeglasses. The ER on these is the best i have ever experienced in a spotting scope.

I now, & have for a few years, study crow behavior as an amateur. The CA sometimes bugs me re that.

I would really like to get a 50mm-65mm ED/FL scope to use, to get rid of the CA. I would also like a decent zoom on the uber scope, with good ER. The Nikon 50mm appears to not have the most generous ER in its eyepiece line. The other alpha scope 65mm's are rather costly for me. Being i use a spotter primarily for behavior & nest watching now, I may get a small Maskutov, but it would have to be weather sealed (the 22x60 being waterproof spoiled me on that.).

I have not been driven to replace it, primarily since it is so convenient for me, and i am so used to it. I eventually stripped the tripod screw hole. Permanently attached a Bogen quick release plate to it that fits my video tripod head and monopod head. Works nice if necessary by hand, or on a small bean bag drapped over a partially rolled down car window. If the day comes it dies, I also have the spare.

Suggestions:
Try it out and use it.
When you can, compare it to others.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back