• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (2 Viewers)

Had a successful trip down to Teeside today first stop was at Cowpen Bewley park there were a few moths,butterflies,dragonflies and damselflies around highlights being 2 Emperor Dragonflies and a male Broad-bodied Chaser also seen
FS Chasers 6+
Blue Damselflies
BT Damselflies
LR Damselflies
No hawkers seen yet.
Butterflies seen
Ringlets
Speckled Woods
Meadow Browns
Common Blues
Moths seen
Shaded -broad Bars
Yellowshells
Lattice Heaths
Silver Ys
Five and Six spot Burnets
From Cowpen Bewley Park went to the Dormans pool area which is good for butteflies 9 species seen including my first 2 Grayling of the year also seen
Small Tort 1
Meadow Browns
Small Skipper 8
Common Blue 3
GV Whites
Large Whites
Large Skipper 1
Small Heath 5
Saw plenty of five and six spot Burnets.There were a few dragonflies around highlights being 6 Black-tailed Skimmers .2 FS Chasers and a single Emperor Dragonfly.

Last edited:
Had another look at Kibblesworth brickworks pool today nothing different seen from my previous visit apart from several Emerald Damselflies, male Banded Demoiselle also few more Common Darters.FS Chasers numbers have gone right down only 20+ seen still 5-6 Black-tailed Skimmers,2 male Emperors, loads of Blue Damselflies, few LR Damselflies.A good number of butterflies on the wing
Small Heath 20+
Ringlet 8
Small Skipper 10+
Common Blue 10
GV White
Small Tort 1
Meadow Brown 20
Moths seen
Five and Six Spot Burnets large numbers of both.
Shaded broad Bar 11
Silver Y 6
On the way home called into Testo's Pool,Boldon saw 3 Emperor Dragonflies,8 FS Chasers,Common Darter and 4 Black -tailed Skimmers.

Great trip to Bishop Middleham today;

Plenty of Northern Brown Argus - wasn't expecting to see specimens with clear white spots but did plus dark spotted types.

1 Dingy Skipper
Large Skippers
Meadow Browns
Ringlets
Common Blues
Small Heathes

At Dorman's Pool;

1 Grayling
Small Skippers

Plenty of Northern Brown Argus - wasn't expecting to see specimens with clear white spots but did plus dark spotted types.

1 Dingy Skipper
Large Skippers
Meadow Browns
Ringlets
Common Blues
Small Heathes

At Dorman's Pool;

1 Grayling
Small Skippers
Hi glad you a great trip yes there are a few Argus with white spots.Bishop Middleham quarry is certainly a good little reserve for butterflies also a good number of different Orchids can be seen there .

Hi glad you a great trip yes there are a few Argus with white spots.Bishop Middleham quarry is certainly a good little reserve for butterflies also a good number of different Orchids can be seen there .

Yes I saw a couple. Don't really know my plants but I did see Bee Orchid, which was good. Also saw the one (can't remember its name) that is unique to Bishop Mid - not fully out yet though.

Yes I saw a couple. Don't really know my plants but I did see Bee Orchid, which was good. Also saw the one (can't remember its name) that is unique to Bishop Mid - not fully out yet though.
There's a rare plant call Dark red Helloborine which has one of its largest populations in the country at BM.

1 Dingy Skipper
Large Skippers
Meadow Browns
Ringlets
Common Blues
Small Heathes

At Dorman's Pool;

1 Grayling
Small Skippers

Hi Steve,

Were you at Dormans around lunchtime? I may have chatted with you about butterflies (wearing a grey tee-shirt). I was mainly looking for dragonflies though got sidetracked with the Reed and Sedge Warblers.

Quite a fwe Black-tailed Skimmers around today both sides of the slag embankment, also 3-4 Emperors and Four-spot Chaser.

Hi Steve,

Were you at Dormans around lunchtime? I may have chatted with you about butterflies (wearing a grey tee-shirt). I was mainly looking for dragonflies though got sidetracked with the Reed and Sedge Warblers.

Quite a fwe Black-tailed Skimmers around today both sides of the slag embankment, also 3-4 Emperors and Four-spot Chaser.

Hi Ian, yes it was me - asked you about Grayling. You looked to be getting some good warbler shots. Nice to meet you.:t:

I went on a Golden-ringed Dragonfly hunt today around Hamsterley Forest and Tunstall reservoir.At Hamsterley i parked at the Grove and walked a couple of the forest tracks.First track i walked didn't see anything not even a butterfly.But after walking for 30 mins or so on the other track i spotted a male GR Dragonfly but unfortuately i only saw it for a minute before it few over some trees and disappeared.I then decided to go to Tunstall reservoir and that certainly proved to be the right decision.At Tunstall i parked my car at the top end near the farm and walked past the nature reserve and up a step track and nearly halfway up i spotted a GR Dragonfly flying low over a patch of bracken it eventually settled and i had cracking views of it resting.I saw another one fly over some trees and after a couple of minutes it came back a started patrolling along the edge of the trees.It was poor of seeing butterflies today i saw a single of each Red Admiral,Ringlet,Meadow Brown and Small Heath.

A few pics from hebburn the weekend. specked wood, Meadow browns, ringlets, burnet moths. as well as skippers. good thread btw martin:t:

Attachments

• delete these 010.jpg
    delete these 010.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 243
  • delete these 056.jpg
    delete these 056.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 262
  • delete these 066.jpg
    delete these 066.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 254
  • delete these 067.jpg
    delete these 067.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 254
A few pics from hebburn the weekend. specked wood, Meadow browns, ringlets, burnet moths. as well as skippers. good thread btw martin:t:
Where abouts in Hebburn do you see the butterflies.There are a good number of Meadows Browns out now and Ringlets,Five and Six spot Burnets there numbers are certainly increasing.I saw loads of Burnets of both species at Kibblesworth yesterday.

Had a hour at Testo's Pool this afternoon quite a lot of dragonfly activity male and female Emperors the female was laying eggs, 2 Black tailed Skimmers,6 FS Chasers,4 Common Darters,lots of BT Damselflies,Blue Damselflies,4 Azure Damselflies also 15 newly emerged Emerald Damselflies.Not many butterflies seen 12 Meadow Browns,one of each Small skipper,Large Skipper ,Speckled Wood and a good number of five spot Bunt moths.

Last edited:
Hebburn

Where abouts in Hebburn do you see the butterflies.There are a good number of Meadows Browns out now and Ringlets,Five and Six spot Burnets there numbers are certainly increasing.I saw loads of Burnets of both species at Kibblesworth yesterday.

Generally speaking the whole of the riverside park has butterflies, I think the north half may have more whites and speckled woods but the south half has the marked areas of long wild grasses. This area is best for the more interesting birds and butterflies. with the best areas being the brambles alongside the railway (large skippers, painted ladies (Non so far this year)) the nettled area and adjacent grassy field (peacocks, meadow browns and ringlets) and the in and around the shrubs(speckled wood, burnets, in past years I have seen some blue butterflies around here presumably common blue but not got good views).

I have not seen red admirals or small skippers in the area yet but maybe I just need to look more.

when in the area it is nice to visit the community farm it has rare breeds of farm animals, it is free to visit and if you have family that like that sort of thing it's a nice place to visit, great for kids.

come to think of it I may just have a look for some butterflies now.|:d|

Any questions on the wildlife in the area, (a limited bunch) I'd be happy to let you know anything I know.

Attachments

• hebburn.jpg
    hebburn.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 261
Thanks for the info Pete i will have to have a look sometime seems a interesting area.The Blues you have seen i expect they will be Common Blues but it's worth checking for Holly Blues.They perfer parks and gardens rather than the grassy habitat that the Common Blues like.I get Holly Blues in the garden most years just 1 or 2.I didn't see any last year but saw 1 a few weeks ago in the garden they are still scarce in our patch.

Butterflies & Dragonflies

28-06-2010
Coatham woods
50+Ringlet
02x Sm. Tortoiseshell
05x Common Blue
03x Sm. Skipper
08x Meadow Brown
Dragonflies:-
07 Emperor (M)
09 Emperor (F) Laying
18x Broad Bodied Chaser (M)
08x Broad Bodied Chaser (F) Laying
20+ 4 Spotted Chaser

A few shots from Rainton today, plenty of others around aswell but they wouldnt sit still for the camera mostly Meadow Browns and Skippers(small I think)
Went to Barmston on the way back and pretty much the same selection there a part from a Speckled Wood.

Attachments

• tn_011.JPG
    tn_011.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 258
  • tn_018.JPG
    tn_018.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 264
  • tn_020.JPG
    tn_020.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 246
Went to Bishop Middleham again this morning but to the Castle Lake area saw 8 newly emerged Small Tortoiseshells, lots of Meadow Browns,4 Ringlets and several Chimney- sweeper moths.Back home in the garden 2 Speckled Woods and a Large White.

Last edited:
Went to Bishop Middleham again this morning but to the Castle Lake area saw 8 newly emerged Small Tortoiseshells, lots of Meadow Browns,4 Ringlets and several Chimney- sweeper moths.Back home in the garden 2 Speckled Woods and a Large White.

Photographed this example of Hobby food ;) (phone held to scope) at Allans pool, Bish Midd.
Within half an hour it was being eaten in mid air by a Hobby just above my head :eek!:

Attachments

• Hobby_food_.gif
    Hobby_food_.gif
    203.3 KB · Views: 295
Photographed this example of Hobby food ;) (phone held to scope) at Allans pool, Bish Midd.
Within half an hour it was being eaten in mid air by a Hobby just above my head :eek!:
Hi Steve i haven't managed to catch up with any of the Hobbies yet.Seems to be a very good year for them same with Emperor Dragonflies.There's been a couple of sightings of Hobby and Kibblesworth brickworks pool recently one was seen taking dragonfly then it rested in a dead tree for 5mins before flying off.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back