• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion ED - same specs as Hawke Frontier ED X ? (1 Viewer)

bins987

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a $500 8x42 binocular and reading this forum has been really useful so far :)

When I was reading specs on the following - Nikon M7, GPO Passion ED, Hawke Frontier ED X, Athlon Midas - I found a surprising similarity in the specs expect for the Nikon.

For eg, the GPO and Hawke are almost the same in every spec:

https://gpo-usa.com/product/passion-ed-8x42-charcoal-black/

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/frontier-ed-x-8x42-binocular-grey.html

Questions:
1. Reading through previous threads, GPO is mentioned to independently design their bins - why are they so similar to Hawke?
2. These models of GPO or Hawke - are they roughly in same ballpark on optical qualities?
3. Nikon is $100 more expensive - Is it best of the list? (sorry if this question is not appropriate for this sub-forum).

I noticed the same thing when I was shopping for an inexpensive, high value 8x42, with the GPO, Hawke, and Midas. I doubt there's a nickle's worth of difference between any of them. I wound up with a $218 Athlon Midas and it is a stellar performer.

I see, thank you! I'll make a decision based on look and feel. And price.

Given these are clones, I'm not sure if there is any reason to spend about $150 more on GPO or Hawke compared to Athlon unless I am missing something.

I see, thank you! I'll make a decision based on look and feel. And price.

Given these are clones, I'm not sure if there is any reason to spend about $150 more on GPO or Hawke compared to Athlon unless I am missing something.

The Athlon I examined had noticeable slop in the focus mechanism with just so-so optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back