• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Golden Rings HD lens system (1 Viewer)

JCJ

Talked to someone in the Leupold custom shop today that told me Leupold GRs binos used the same HD lens system as their GR spotters, a fluoride based objective lens system. He went on to say this is not listed in their catalog but this is what they use in their new GRs bins. Any of you guys know anything about this or think there is any truth to it.

Could very well be true, but it sill does not excuse the boat anchor weight or excessively large eyepcup. If I were going to carry that much binocular I'd carry a 50mm and consider it a fair trade for HD lenses. "Flouride based" could easily mean one flouride glass lens and the rest standard glass. Better than nothing I suppose, but also a marketing boon more than anything.

I have yet to come across a birder with any Leupold GR products, and I don't imagine I ever will.

You may not come across another birder, but hunters are buying the GRs in droves. They are the true target market.

ranburr

I understand that hunters are big fans of them, but that doesn't stop Loopie form advertising in all the birding mags. If you thought birders had money, sheesh, price out a turkish walnut furnished gold inlayed engraved double, then imagine there are blokes with on for each gauge!

Robert Ellis said:
I understand that hunters are big fans of them, but that doesn't stop Loopie form advertising in all the birding mags. If you thought birders had money, sheesh, price out a turkish walnut furnished gold inlayed engraved double, then imagine there are blokes with on for each gauge!

Either that is some weird ultra-cool slang or my mind has gone!

Leif

Read: expensive fancy pants itialian made guns, to be used only for showing off and never for shoots, even though it cost as much as a small car

Robert Ellis said:
Read: expensive fancy pants itialian made guns, to be used only for showing off and never for shoots, even though it cost as much as a small car

Phew ... I was about to book a shrink. I see what you are saying now. Double = double barrelled shotgun! Leif

Robert Ellis said:

Actually, many of those people who can afford to spend tens, if not hundreds of thousands on custom double guns like Holland & Holland, Griffon & Howe, Merkel, Purdey, etc... actually do take them out and aren't afraid of getting their guns dirty. They just don't care, because if it's damaged, they'll just buy another one.

They're just as pretentious as some birders... they like being seen on safari with their expensive prize toys.

Most of the people that afford guns like that are brand loyalists, and will only buy binoculars form Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski and probably wouldn't think about buying a leupold binocular, not out of anything but lack of recognition in the binocular market. If you ask them how much thought they put into their binocular purchase, you'd probably be surprised. Most of my 'rich' customers don't spend even a few minutes of thought on which binocular offers the best FOV or price/value points. Usually, they ask for a recommendation on the premise "What is the best?" and will accept anything you tell them, or they just pick a top-end name brand knowing that they're getting what they pay for.

xenophobe said:
Actually, many of those people who can afford to spend tens, if not hundreds of thousands on custom double guns like Holland & Holland, Griffon & Howe, Merkel, Purdey, etc... actually do take them out and aren't afraid of getting their guns dirty. They just don't care, because if it's damaged, they'll just buy another one.

They're just as pretentious as some birders... they like being seen on safari with their expensive prize toys.

Most of the people that afford guns like that are brand loyalists, and will only buy binoculars form Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski and probably wouldn't think about buying a leupold binocular, not out of anything but lack of recognition in the binocular market. If you ask them how much thought they put into their binocular purchase, you'd probably be surprised. Most of my 'rich' customers don't spend even a few minutes of thought on which binocular offers the best FOV or price/value points. Usually, they ask for a recommendation on the premise "What is the best?" and will accept anything you tell them, or they just pick a top-end name brand knowing that they're getting what they pay for.

Well put, sir!

xenophobe said:

Well you have not acquinted yourself with the particular brand of redneck surrounding the Twin Cities! The field guns are good old american brands with Loopie scopes, the prize gun, which could've been spent on a kids education, sits in the house. Not wealthy, but they want you to think they are. Totally different from the type of richie you described.

Yes, but if you were to drop $xx,xxx on an African safari, would you not take your prized deluxe engraved single select turkish walnut exposed hammer box-lock whatever with you? I don't own a fancy double, but if I did and went on safari, you could bet your life I would. ;)

More than a few of the people that I know that fit your bill do save up, trade up, and eventually do go on those once in a lifetime trips.

Getting a big long scratch in your burled turkish walnut would be excruciatingly painful if you were in your local deer stand, but might be more of a fond memory if it happend while you were going through a briar patch before bagging a 2000lb trophy cape buffalo...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back