• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope vibrations - appreciate your advicw (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

I have an ES80 on a Manfrotto 190XV tripod with a MN701RC2 head.

I seem to have a problem with vibration and wanted to check it was normal and what the best solution is.

I get the vibration problem at high mag, in winds with the full tripod up, but also when using a hide clamp with the column and head from the tripod, when there is a wooden floor and heavy people walk past.

In your view are these the same, or separate issues? Does hanging a heavy bag off the tripod really make a big difference? I hear people mentioning 'stone bags' are these self-made or can suitable bags be purchased.

I never carry a heavy bag with me (the tripod is on my back in a scopac) so if necessary would need to do so just for the purpose of hanging it from the tripod, so would like to know the extra carrying would be worthwhile.

Thanks for your help!

On windy days I have been known to fill a plastic carrier bag with stones and hang it from the centre column of the tripod to add a bit of stability. You can carry a bag in your pocket, there's never a shortage of stones etc to fill it when out birding.
In hides I tend to rest the scope on the window ledge and use it hand held if there are lots of people coming and going, I only use the hide clamp when I'm on my own or if there's little movement.

The scopac might make it worse as it can act a bit like a sail in windy conditions. I agree that weighting a bag is a good trick. What I do in windy condition is set my tripod lower (when I can) and just sit on the floor - not always the most comfortable but if it gets the ID it's worth it.

Carrier bag - didn't think of that, easy solution. Keeping the scope lower too. Good to know it's not just me!

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back