• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (1 Viewer)

Hi Yukonite

Just looking through the posts and came across yours
Yellow Belle is an extreme rarity up here with only one record for Durham and one record for Northumberland.
Orange Underwing's flight period is over unless you meant one of the Yellow Underwing species.
Your pic is a Common Carpet

Cheers

Tom

yes it was a y underwing martin keeps me right. so maybe wasnt a yellow belle either then i didnt get a pic but when i looked in my book thats about the nearest it looked like.:-O

Moths from Tillery Wood

A few handfuls, trapped last night at Tillery Wood.
Lots of footman about.
These are the ones that I I've managed to ID. Well! I think the're right.

Common White Wave.
Chequered Fruit Tree Tortrix.
Riband Wave.
Small Fan Footed Wave.
Large Emerald.

Attachments

• _MG_6649.JPG
    _MG_6649.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 100
  • _MG_6708.JPG
    _MG_6708.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 107
  • _MG_6712.JPG
    _MG_6712.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 111
  • _MG_6809.JPG
    _MG_6809.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 115
  • _MG_6815.JPG
    _MG_6815.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
A few more from Tillery wood.

Purple Thorn.
Small Pheonix.
Dunbar.
Pale Prominent.
Silver Y.

Attachments

• _MG_6680.JPG
    _MG_6680.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 120
  • _MG_6769.JPG
    _MG_6769.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 108
  • _MG_6881.JPG
    _MG_6881.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 95
  • _MG_6980.JPG
    _MG_6980.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 94
  • _MG_6991.JPG
    _MG_6991.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Last Ones.

Blood Vein.
July Highflyer.
Pebble Hooktip.
Orchard Ermine.
Buff Footman.

Attachments

• _MG_6826.JPG
    _MG_6826.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 103
  • _MG_6841.JPG
    _MG_6841.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 111
  • _MG_6894.JPG
    _MG_6894.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_6912.JPG
    _MG_6912.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_6928.JPG
    _MG_6928.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Ray never tried to photograph moths because my interest has never stretched this far(yet).. but how do you manage shots like this? are the moths pretty docile etc. coming out of the trap?

Last Ones.

Blood Vein.
July Highflyer.
Pebble Hooktip.
Some type of Ermine.
Buff Footman.
Hi Ray you got a good selection of moths at the woods.The Ermine may be a Orchard Ermine they are so difficult to id.It's not a Bird -cherry Ermine they have 5 rows of spots on the forewing.

Last edited:
Ray never tried to photograph moths because my interest has never stretched this far(yet).. but how do you manage shots like this? are the moths pretty docile etc. coming out of the trap?

Hi Steve.
Depending on the temperature I sometimes put them into containers and leave them in the fridge for a while then remove them, tap them out the container onto a white plate and hopefully they'll sit long enough to photograph them befor releasing them.
Sometimes I just leave the trap outside and transfer the moth onto the plate.
I think that the fridge method can make them docile but on the other hand It can have an adverse affect, as sometimes the temperature change from fridge to plate can liven them up quicker, in which case It's a waiting game before shots can be got.
In the end It's trial and error and what works best, depending on the type of moth etc.
Another time consumming task including the 5 or 6 hours sitting in the dark, cold and sometimes wet, trying to trap them till about 2.am :eek!::-O.

Forgot to mention Steve, the shots are taken indoors with a Macro lens, I would preefer to photograph them on a more natural habitat, i.e. leaves, bark etc, but use a white plate to try and get better light reflecting, due of the lack of light entering the kitchen.
Shutter speed on some of these are 1/2 second etc and shot at, at least F14 and up to aout F22 to get depth of field.

Hope this helps in some way.

Last edited:
Hi Ray

Some excellent images you have there, just a couple I would question Lesser Cream Wave is a Small Fan-footed Wave, Phoenix is a Small Phoenix and the ermine is probably Orchard Ermine

Regards

Tom

saw this at barmston pond, i couldnt get closer or abetter pic without climbing over a hedge.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 176
Hi Ray you got a good selection of moths at the woods.The Ermine may be a Orchard Ermine they are so difficult to id.It's not a Bird -cherry Ermine they have 5 rows of spots on the forewing.

Cheers Martin:t:, It looked like an Orchard ermine in my book, but as you say, Its difficult, - worse than birds to ID.
There were others the same night i.e. underwings, yellow tails, barred red etc and a few which I've yet to try and put an ID to.

What sort of trap and light do you use martin?. Also which ID Books?.
The books I have are:
Concise Guide to Moths of GB & Ireland.
British Moths & Butterflies, (A photographic guide) Chris Manley.

Hi Ray

Some excellent images you have there, just a couple I would question Lesser Cream Wave is a Small Fan-footed Wave, Phoenix is a Small Phoenix and the ermine is probably Orchard Ermine

Regards

Tom

Cheers Tom:t:, I'll check my book again.
Just learning, so any help/advise is appreciated.

Checked and ID's changed.

Last edited:
Cheers Tom:t:, I'll check my book again.
Just learning, so any help/advise is appreciated.

Checked and ID's changed.
Hi Ray it's just a small light weight moth trap i use called a Safari trap it has a 160w(240w)mercury blended tungsten bulb.You can use it for survey work and taken in woods etc.The field guide i use is The Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Paul Waring and Martin Townsend,illustrated by Richard Lewington it's a excellent book.

Last edited:
Hi Ray it's just a small light weight moth trap i use called a Safari trap it has a 160w(240w)mercury blended tungsten bulb.You can use it for survey work and taken in woods etc.The field guide i use is The Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Paul Waring and Martin Townsend,illustrated by Richard Lewington it's a excellent book.

You must have understanding neighbours:flowers:, 160W will light the street up.
That sounds like the same ID book I've got, but It dosn't have the Micro moths in, what do you use for those?.

You must have understanding neighbours:flowers:, 160W will light the street up.
That sounds like the same ID book I've got, but It dosn't have the Micro moths in, what do you use for those?.
Hi Ray where i put the trap it's surrounded by bushes and i am luckly it doesn't affect the neighbours.I haven't got a book for micro moths.But there's an excellent id site call UK moths it has a lot of pics of micro moths.

Last edited:
Hi Ray where i put the trap it's surrounded by bushes and luckly it doesn't affect the neighbours.I haven't got a book for micro moths.But there's an excellent id site call UK moths it has a lot of pics of micro moths.

i got a homemade skinner, its like a lighthouse in your garden but not enough moths here.
i fancy trying making a safari type in woodland with no light pollution using a 6 or 12volt bat.
theres to many street lights where i live, maybe try 'testos'

cheers Martin i was looking at the 'concise guide to butterflies and moths' by Eliabeth Balmer and still had no idea.
Hi talking about not many moths around.The best conditions for trapping moths is a warm cloudy night.When it's a cool night,windy or a clear night you dont get many flying around.Might try the trap out tonight it's going to cloudy and mild.

Last edited:
Hi talking about not many moths around.The best conditions for trapping moths is a warm cloudy night.When it's a cool night,windy or a clear night you dont get many flying around.Might try the trap out tonight it's going to cloudy and mild.

I hope all you budding moth trappers are going to submit your records to the county recorder !

Regards

Tom

North East Moth Forum

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/northeastmoths/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back