• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (1 Viewer)

It's actually a Comma rather than a fritillary though they're worth looking out for as one was found at South Gare at the weekend.

Had another visit to Kibblesworth this morning mainly looking for dragonflies.Around the main pond there were 3 Emperor Dragonflies and at least 50+ Common Darters and a single male Common Hawker.But no sign of any Southern Hawkers while i was looking.Saw the usual damselflies.Not so many butterflies seen on this visit

Small Skipper 4 there numbers have gone down.
Ringlet just a few
Meadow Brown just a few
Small Tort 4
Comma 2
Large White a few
Small White a few
Small Heath was the commonest species seen 32

Back home in the garden 4 Small Torts on the buddleias.

Last edited:
one my mrs took at testos on sunday before she fell over and sprained her ankle.....
thought weebles only wobbled.
she said it was green underside

Attachments

• 131.JPG
    131.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 149
Gave the moth trap a trail run for a couple of hours last night in the garden.It certainly attracted a few moths.If it's fine tonight i will have it on overnight. Commonest moth was Large Yellow Underwing at least 20, other moths seen

Marbled Beauty 3
Common Rustic 2
Willow Beauty 2
Lesser Yellow Underwing 3
Small Ermine 2
Swallow-tailed Moth 2
Brimstone 3
Fanfoot 3
Golden -Twin Spot 1

Last edited:
Quick look in Marsden Quarry this afternoon produced my first Painted Lady of the year.This time last year there 100s around other butterflies seen

Small Tort 7
Meadow Brown 20+
Small Skipper 3
Common Blue 2
Wall Brown 1
Large White
Small White
GV White
Ringlet 2

Back in the garden this afternoon Peacock and 5 Small Torts.

searched west pastures yesterday looking for any holly blues, not much holly but plenty ivy.
couldnt find a single one but hundreds of large and small whites also about 6 peacocks.

searched west pastures yesterday looking for any holly blues, not much holly but plenty ivy.
couldnt find a single one but hundreds of large and small whites also about 6 peacocks.
Seems to be another bad year for Holly Blues.I have only seen one and that was in the garden a couple of months ago.Plenty of Common Blues around.

Had the moth trap on overnight and it attracted 22 species.

Gold Spangle 1
Heart and Dart 2
Scallope Oak 5
Willow Beauty 6
Large Y Underwing 25
Lesser Y Underwing 3
Lesser BB Y Underwing 2
Riban Wave 11
Marbled Beauty 5
Mother -of Pearl 1
Gothic 1
Garden Carpet 2
Dark Arches 8
Brimstone 1
Common Wainscot 1
Common Rustic 3
Garden Peeble 3
Small Ermine 3
Clouded Border 1
Phlyctataenia Coronata 1
Burnished Brass 1
Fan foot 3

Last edited:
Outside your region I know, but we don't have an equivalent of this thread for Yorkshire! One Holly Blue seen in Wetherby by myself in last few days, plus another seen elsewhere in Leeds.

Cheers Martin:t:, looks pretty much like you're right on both counts, my book dos'nt have the small ermine in, but when I've checked on the net, It looks to be right.

Just going through the posts tonight.
Your first moth is a Shuttle-shaped Dart.
Not sure which Ermine species yours is at the moment, but I have never heard of a Small Ermine

Regards

Tom

Just going through the posts tonight.
Your first moth is a Shuttle-shaped Dart.
Not sure which Ermine species yours is at the moment, but I have never heard of a Small Ermine

Regards

Tom
Hi Tom meant to say Cherry Ermine which is classed as one of the" Small Ermines".

Had the moth trap on overnight again a few more different species seen from the other night.17 species recorded.

Willow Beauty 7
Grey/Dark Dagger 3
Marbled Beauty 5
Brimstone 3
Riband Wave 8
Lesser Y Underwing 1
Large Y Underwing 22
LBB Y Underwing 2
Barred Yellow 1
Dot Moth 3
Silver Y 1
Beautiful Golden Y 1
Cabbage Moth 3
Dark Arches 8
Garden Carpet 2
Lime- speck Pug 1
Double Square Spot 3

Last edited:
Not so many moths trapped last night but the highlight was a male Poplar Hawkmoth other moths seen

Brimstone Moth 2
Lesser Y Underwing 1
Willow Beauty 7
Yellow Shell 1
Shuttle -shaped Dart 2
Riband Wave 5
Marbled Beauty 3
Large Y Underwing 18+
Silver Y 1
Dark Arches 8
Fan -foot 3
Lime-speck Pug 1
Common Waincot 1
Phlyctaenia Coronata 1
Cabbage Moth 2
Scalloped Oak 1

Last edited:
Just a little note about the Five- spot Burnet moths.The species we get in our area is the Narrow-bordered Five spot Burnet.The Five-spot Burnet moths occur down south.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back