• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leupold Gold Rings (1 Viewer)

Hello All,
I checked at Kerley's earlier today and spoke with their bino man (Casey) about the new gold rings. He said that he would check with their Leupold distributer about the new gold rings and let me know if they will be getting any in for me to check out.
Len G

I use Leupold Golden Ring scopes exclusively. I absolutely love them and wouldn't top a rifle with anything else. However, I've never used a pair of their binoculars. I'm sure the quality will be excellent though.

Len Glasser said:
Hello All,
I checked at Kerley's earlier today and spoke with their bino man (Casey) about the new gold rings. He said that he would check with their Leupold distributer about the new gold rings and let me know if they will be getting any in for me to check out.
Len G

Len G,

Have you seen or heard of any reviews on the Gold Ring bins? Look forward to hearing what you have to say once you get a pair to play with.

Justin

Gold Rings

Justin said:
Len G,

Have you seen or heard of any reviews on the Gold Ring bins? Look forward to hearing what you have to say once you get a pair to play with.

Justin

Justin,
Not yet. If or when I do, will indicate such.
Len G

Len Glasser said:
Hello All,
Len G

Len,

I'd also like to see them. What did Casey say about the old gold rings, if anything?

-elk

The old Gold Rings were re-labeled Leicas. The new Gold rings appear quite good, but not spectacular. I would rate them below my Kahles and Minox binos.

ranburr

Far from rumor. Leupold and Leica have had numerous strategic partnerships over the years. Who do you think made Leica rifle scopes? Loopy made them with Leica supplied glass.

ranburr

I can see Leica using their famous glass in a rifle scope and sourcing the assembly to Leupold, who are known for that. However, I doubt Leica would let a pair of bins made in such a fashion carry any name but their own. It is possible that Leica helped with the design, but in no way should one mistake the Leupolds for a "budget" pair of Leicas. In all honesty they are far likely more related to Opticron and Bushnell offerings.

Quick research, I took a look around the web, and at first glance it looks as the Golden Rings and the Stokes DLS have the same strap lugs and the focus knob is in the same position relative to the hinges and eyepiece. I guess we know who Bushnell has sold the old Elite model design to. If the focus of the Golden Rings is as fast as I'm told, it leaves little doubt in my mind that they are the same housing.

In the 1980s the Leitz Trinivoid was made in their Portugal factory. These binos were also sold as the Leupold Gold Ring. These were the Predecesor of the Leica Trinivoids.

ranburr

Leica produces components for other brands, but there are no Leica/Leitz bins or other complete products carrying any name but their own.

Walter

ranburr said:
The old Gold Rings were re-labeled Leicas. The new Gold rings appear quite good, but not spectacular. I would rate them below my Kahles and Minox binos.

ranburr
Are you sure that your talking the new golden rings? Because kahles and minox SUCK!, in my opion.

ranburr said:

ranburr
:h?: I have to agree with MORK on this one.I thought they were on par with my 8.5el's and 8x42 fls.Color wasn't as good but resolution equal and flatness of field better than FLs and about same as ELs.Thought they were still a little ahead of my ultravids in resolution but not color.And besides, how would you know this being there very scarce.Thought I got one of the first pair.

Robert Ellis said:
I can see Leica using their famous glass in a rifle scope and sourcing the assembly to Leupold, who are known for that. However, I doubt Leica would let a pair of bins made in such a fashion carry any name but their own. It is possible that Leica helped with the design, but in no way should one mistake the Leupolds for a "budget" pair of Leicas. In all honesty they are far likely more related to Opticron and Bushnell offerings.
What are you talking about?

Robert Ellis said:
Quick research, I took a look around the web, and at first glance it looks as the Golden Rings and the Stokes DLS have the same strap lugs and the focus knob is in the same position relative to the hinges and eyepiece. I guess we know who Bushnell has sold the old Elite model design to. If the focus of the Golden Rings is as fast as I'm told, it leaves little doubt in my mind that they are the same housing.
Not same design,if you look you will clearly see the specs are totally different.FOV for 10s is much larger in the Leupold.Eye relief is also not the same.

Leupold??? Kahles??? Minox??? They ALL suck. Zeiss is the best, deal with it.

Heh.

P.S. I hear Kahles is manufactured on the planet Klingon.

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
Leupold??? Kahles??? Minox??? They ALL suck. Zeiss is the best, deal with it.

Heh.

P.S. I hear Kahles is manufactured on the planet Klingon.
Your probally right BILL.Pretty good one.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back