• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fingerless gloves (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Does anyone know where I can find a pair of lady's size fingerless gloves, preferably with the removable mitt top? The "one-size" ones in Hawkshead are HUGE... (mens' size naturally), and the ones from Millet's were rather thin cotton type (still one size and too big even though I don't have particularly small hands). I really can't afford to let my camera slip when out on a cold day!

By the way, would it be a bit dangerous going out in a balaclava type headgear with only the eyes showing? (My nose/cheeks/mouth seem to freeze up long before everything else). By dangerous, I mean would I look a right idiot, or do others in the group wear such things?

Susan

Susan,
I normally just knit the finger bits i.e palmless gloves!!!!
Obviously not what you require!
As regards the balaclava..I've got one (for summer use only) and nobody has said I look like an idiot.....only when I take it off!!
Ha ha boom boom
Dave
P.S. Do you think a Laura Ashley floral gown is a good 'camo' outfit for birding?... It does match the balaclava.....

deboo said:
Susan,
P.S. Do you think a Laura Ashley floral gown is a good 'camo' outfit for birding?....

Hmm...you may be on to something here Dave! A little something for the garden bird..... no Canon extenders necessary.... o:D

Susan

if you have a GAP store in your area they are doing a nice line in finger mitts, in a light fleece material
nice glove

My son has bought some from a "mountaineering" style shop in Loughborough - they are excellent but they were pricey. The mitten part and the thumb both fold back revealing fingerless gloves. He suffers with Raynaud's Syndrome in his fingers so he had a good excuse!

If you want more details, let me know.

Susan,
I do have a pair of fingerless gloves....but now prefer some "1 size fits all" thinsulate gloves, they are not thick but very warm and I can focus/undo fiddly tripod thingy/pick nose etc without having to remove the gloves.
I read somewhere that if your feet are cold, put on a hat. So conversely, if your face is cold.....put a hat on ........somebody taller!!!!
Dave

Thanks everyone. The problem I have however is that I have not found a smaller pair to fit a woman's hands. I don't have small hands, just normal, but my thumb seems to get lost in the "one size" fits all. Surely the manufacturers do not think that only men take photos/chop firewood/work in the cold? :gh:

I'll certainly try Gap, I hadn't thought of them, although I might have to wait till the queues die down. At 5.30am yesterday morning, my partner saw massive queues outside the shops, waiting for the sales no doubt. Is that daft or what??

Susan

tarves57 said:
At 5.30am yesterday morning, my partner saw massive queues outside the shops, waiting for the sales no doubt. Is that daft or what??

Susan
Why any one would want to queue up at that time on Boxing Day (or any other day) utterly defeats me. Mind you, I finally lost faith in the human race when it was disclosed that the most popular pastime in the Lake District is shopping.

In case you hadn't noticed I HATE SHOPPING

OK - rant over.

When you consider that most of the so-called 'Sale' stock at this time of year is actually cheap bought-in stuff (no doubt offered for the minimum period necessary at one branch at the 'high' price) then you realise how stupid most bargain-hunters are!

'Genuine' sales start when the shop staff have had time to do a quick stock-check after Christmas and decide what will be better to sell at a knock-down price rather than not sell at all.

BTW, I have long fingers that get cold at the tips so I've never seen the point of fingerless gloves - they're about as useful as making sleeveless jackets out of 'waterproof' material!

Fingerless gloves are good for keeping your hands warm, yet when changing camera settings for instance, give a less slippery, tactile contact with the buttons. The ones that have a mitt on the end that flips back and is held in place with velcro are ideal.

Adey, I once knitted a glove with fingers for my school handicraft project. It took me a year, and the other one never got done. Mind you I was only 10 at the time and I HATED knitting. We were using 4 needles and I kept being told off by the teacher for "knitting backwards" - HAH! is that possible??

Susan

tarves57 said:
Does anyone know where I can find a pair of lady's size fingerless gloves, preferably with the removable mitt top? The "one-size" ones in Hawkshead are HUGE... (mens' size naturally), and the ones from Millet's were rather thin cotton type (still one size and too big even though I don't have particularly small hands). I really can't afford to let my camera slip when out on a cold day!

By the way, would it be a bit dangerous going out in a balaclava type headgear with only the eyes showing? (My nose/cheeks/mouth seem to freeze up long before everything else). By dangerous, I mean would I look a right idiot, or do others in the group wear such things?

Susan

Hi Susan - I was just looking through the RSPB gift catalogue before throwing it out, and noticed they have "Two-way Ladies' Gloves". They have suede palms, fleece linings and rip-tape mitten grips (whatever they are)! Price £9.99, catalogue number 77-45-29. I've just looked at the website (www.rspbshop.co.uk) but the gloves are out of stock at the moment. However, if you still have not found anything suitable, these could be worth waiting for!!

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Hi Susan - I was just looking through the RSPB gift catalogue before throwing it out, and noticed they have "Two-way Ladies' Gloves". They have suede palms, fleece linings and rip-tape mitten grips (whatever they are)! Price £9.99, catalogue number 77-45-29.

YES! Finally. I had another look downtown today but nothing new.....
I'll have a look in just after the New Year, or give them a phone.
Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan

They have some at the RSPB shop at the Titchwell reserve - knitted style in different sizes with leather patches for grip with the flip off mitten cover. In green or navy blue - they were £14.99 but good quality and warm. Maybe the RSPB shpo website or catalogue has them or a reserve shop near you?

If you suffer from the cold (Raynaud's syndrome), we're finding that either "Windstopper" or sheepskin offer the best warmth and protection.

Humble Doddies pronounced Hummle Doddies

Susan, have you tried ex-army stockists. There used to be 2 shops in Aberdeen, only 1 now, which stocked the half finger type, the sniper type, and the fold-back finger cover type. It may be worth a look for an ex-army where you are.

Malky @ Westhill

alcedo.atthis said:
Susan, have you tried ex-army stockists. There used to be 2 shops in Aberdeen, only 1 now, which stocked the half finger type, the sniper type, and the fold-back finger cover type. It may be worth a look for an ex-army where you are.

Malky @ Westhill

Malky, I never thought of ex-army. There used to be a shop very close by but it has gone now. However, I'm expecting a pair in the mail soon, so hopefully they will be alright.
Thanks
susan

Doug said:
Hi Susan

They have some at the RSPB shop at the Titchwell reserve - knitted style in different sizes with leather patches for grip with the flip off mitten cover. In green or navy blue - they were £14.99 but good quality and warm. Maybe the RSPB shpo website or catalogue has them or a reserve shop near you?

And did they come in very handy!

Bicycle gloves, different kinds for different uses, might work. They have palm padding, but it does not bother me.

I tend to just wear them cheap acrylic fingerless gloves off the market, they are only £1 a pair, last for ages, and dont soak water up as quickly as fleece gloves.
In bad weather its best to have a backup pair as well, i speak from experience ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back