• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x42 WB HD alternatetive rainguard (1 Viewer)

Odradek

Hi there,

since 5 years i am very happy with my SLC 8x42 besides one thing. The stiff plastic rainguard. It never holds very well. Can someone tell me a different solution i can use, prefered from rubber. I have a rubber rainguard from Zeiss but the diameter is to large.

Thanky for any advice and happy holidays!

Those hinged hard plastic Swarovski rainguards really are an abomination.
I have a Zeiss FL rainguard on my 7x42 SLC and A Leica Ultravid rainguard (externally anonymous) on my 10x42 EL SV. I believe the eyecups on all 42 mm Swarovskis are similarly dimensioned, so either of these would fit well.
With the introduction of the Field Pro versions it looked as if Swarovski had at last got it right but I'm inclined to doubt that now. An 8x30 CL I recently bought for my wife has a rainguard of similar appearance but is a real fiddle to apply and remove.
Pretty much ideal were the old oval Zeiss and Optolyth rainguards. Another alternative would be the Swarovski BG bino guard but it's a ridiculous price.

John

Swarovski makes what's called a "Silent Rainguard" for about $29 USD. I've used them for years on my 8x30 and 8x42 SLCs. One size fits all, so the tightness depends on the diameter of the eyecup. It's not really tight on the 8x42 SLC-HD, but I like it and don't worry about hard plastic scratching the lens. It's only tethered on the left side, making it easy to flick off when desired.

Ed

Another option from Swarovski is get the winged eyecups, that now pop over the twistup
eyecups, they come with a winged soft rainguard that can be used with them either way.

Jerry

Thank you for the answers! The silent rainguard looks good. Unfortunally, i cant find it in germany so far. I will contact Swarovski.

Those hinged hard plastic Swarovski rainguards really are an abomination. [snip]
Pretty much ideal were the old oval Zeiss and Optolyth rainguards.

The old oval Zeiss rainguards are the best rainguards I know. Definitely. Their only disadvantage is that they're a bit on the heavy side for a rainguard.

When Zeiss discontinued them, I stocked up on them and use them on most of my binoculars.

Hermann

Thank you for the answers! The silent rainguard looks good. Unfortunally, i cant find it in germany so far. I will contact Swarovski.

Good approach. Now that I recall, I contacted Swarovski (SONA) directly to get my last silent rainguard for the 8x42 SLC-HD... and they didn't charge me for it. :-0)

Ed

Good approach. Now that I recall, I contacted Swarovski (SONA) directly to get my last silent rainguard for the 8x42 SLC-HD... and they didn't charge me for it. :-0)

Ed

Got the answer today from Swarovski Tirol. They dont know the silent rainguard and does not offer it. They told me that the product, as seen on the adorama page, is not an official product.

Got the answer today from Swarovski Tirol. They dont know the silent rainguard and does not offer it. They told me that the product, as seen on the adorama page, is not an official product.

Ha! That's hilarious. Sounds more like the kind of mistake that Nikon would make. It has been available from Swarovski for many years. Available now in USA from many Swarovski dealers.

--AP

That's rather strange. I just called Swarovski Optik North America and was informed that they have them in stock for $33 USD, but recommend buying from a Swaro dealer for $29.95. The part number is #44001.

The picture below was from their 2003 catalog, but I acquired my last one for the 8x42 SLC-HD about 2013.

I'd suggest trying Swaro dealers.

Ed

Attachments

• Silent rain guard.pdf
    784.4 KB · Views: 69
Having seen the illustration of the silent rainguard I recall that I had one years ago for my 7x42 SLC. It didn't last long however, and the weak loop for the carrying strap soon split.
The rainguard for the 42 mm Leica Ultravids is much more substantial, fits my 10x42 EL SV perfectly and, IIRC, only cost €15. The Leica name is only visible on the inside.
Btw, I always attach rainguards indirectly to the carrying straps with a short loop of cord, which keeps them out of the way when observing.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back