• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A elementry question on IS & AV (1 Viewer)

Mr.T

I am just learning the jargon regarding DSLR. I'm assuming that the terms IS is image stabilazation and AV is anti vibration. Does this function take place in the lens or the camera or both? Fundamentally, in simple terms, how is this accomplished? When puchasing a lens, is this an additiona specification or adder? Are there additional costs for this? So much to learn... gene

Last edited:
Mr.T said:
I am just learning the jargon regarding DSLR. I'm assuming that the terms IS is image stabilazation and AV is anti vibration. Does this function take place in the lens or the camera or both? Fundamentally, in simple terms, how is this accomplished? When puchasing a lens, is this an additiona specification or adder? Are there additional costs for this? So much to learn... gene

Image stabilisation can be on the lens or on the camera.

On-lens IS uses an extra optical element that is moved to counter the movement of the lens, thus keeping the image on the sensor stable. The advantage is that IS will work on all of your bodies (if you have more than one) and that it is optimised for that particular lens. You also get a stabilised view in the viewfinder. Disadvantage is that you need to buy an IS lens each time (if you want IS for that particular lens type)

In-camera IS moves the sensor to match the movement of the image. Advantage is that you only buy IS once and it works with all of your lenses. Disadvantage is that it's something extra to go wrong (making all your lenses unusable).

There are lots of arguments on DPReview about which system is best. And no obvious right answer.

Because "IS" is Canon terminology, I assume that the "AV" you mention is in a Canon context too, in which case it stands (bizarrely) for "Aperture".

"AV Mode" is Aperture Priority mode on Canon cameras.

Keith Reeder said:
Because "IS" is Canon terminology, I assume that the "AV" you mention is in a Canon context too, in which case it stands (bizarrely) for "Aperture".

"AV Mode" is Aperture Priority mode on Canon cameras.

AV because it is "Aperture Value" in Canonese. Much more bizarre is TV, "Time Value" in Canonese or Shutter Priority to everyone else.

Mike.

citrinella said:
AV because it is "Aperture Value" in Canonese. Much more bizarre is TV, "Time Value" in Canonese or Shutter Priority to everyone else.

Mike.
Blimey Mike you learn something new each day!

I have always wondered how AV & TV came about.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back