• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Significant Birding Event in australia (1 Viewer)

Nancy

The following email was circulated to BA members yesterday. It may be of interest to Bird Forum members, particularly those interested in Migratory Waders.

Significant Bird Event
By Jim Downey
Birds Australia CEO

Arguably one of the most extraordinary events associated with migratory waders in Australia in recent years is occurring right now in North Western Australia. Last Saturday and Sunday the 7 & 8 February 2004, Members of Birds Australia ( BA ) and our special interest group the Australasian Wader Studies Group lead by Dr Clive Minton ( BA Fellow ) counted between 2.4 and 2.8 MILLION Oriental Pratincoles at 80 mile beach ( Anna Plains station). The previous estimate of the total Australian population of this bird was 60,000 !!!

An extract of Clive's email of Monday 9 Feb advising us of this remarkable event is reproduced here :

When we arrived here on February 2nd it was immediately apparent that an unusual situation existed. For the last 100km of the journey the bush on either side of the main highway was alive with feeding Oriental Pratincoles. In the late afternoon vast clouds (smokes) of birds could be seen swirling around over many parts of the plains and these gradually descended towards dusk to roost for the night in quite dense patches all over the agricultural grasslands of the plain. Next day their daily pattern became apparent. From dawn birds fed extensively all over the grassland of the station and further inland amongst the bush at least as far back as the Great Northern Highway.

As the day heated up (the weather was relatively settled and calm and sunny throughout) the birds gradually moved down to the coast where they collected in huge aggregations on the upper mud flats and as the tide rose on the sandy beaches.

We have obviously been speculating as to why such a huge number of birds is present here now but has never previously been recorded. The previous most similar situation was in January 2000 when a minimum of 50,000 Oriental Pratincoles were observed on Anna Plains Station. However, in that
year there was extensive water on the agricultural pastureland and birds were therefore not needing to adjourn to the beach during the heat of the day. No extensive surveys or wider population estimates were attempted or possible at that time. It would appear that in 2004 conditions have
been absolutely perfect to attract the maximum number of Oriental Pratincoles to feed in the area of farmland adjacent to 80 Mile Beach and that weather and habitat conditions have been the optimum to force them to use the beach during the day where they could be observed and counted.

Nevertheless it is still quite a staggering increase of previous estimates of the population of this species and one which would be difficult to believe by anyone who had not seen this phenomenal sight of beaches densely covered with pratincoles a kilometre or so wide for stretches tens of kilometres
long.( End of Email).

What an exciting event for those lucky people!.

Last edited:
The most I've seen is ONE! Norfolk, remember folks?
I can't imagine a flock or gathering of anything this size.

James

The most I've ever seen myself was a flock of about 13 or 14 over twenty years ago and I was very excited about that. It's just mind boggling to try to even think of flocks that size and the tremendous excitement generated in the group of counters as they counted in larger and larger multiples. I think the largest flock of waders I have ever counted was around three thousand.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back