• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Willow tit (1 Viewer)

Please can anyone help with these.

Pic 1 appears to have a pale wing Panel which suggests Willow Tit ( this is not 100 % I.D feature though), it appears to have a whte spot on bill base which is an 100 % I.D feature of Marsh Tit.
So pic 1 I would go for Marsh Tit.
pic 2 showing a pale wing panel and gis of Willow Tit, no white bill base spot
so pic 2 I would go for Willow Tit.
I know you get both species in that area.

Regards, John

Pic 1 appears to have a pale wing Panel which suggests Willow Tit ( this is not 100 % I.D feature though), it appears to have a whte spot on bill base which is an 100 % I.D feature of Marsh Tit.
So pic 1 I would go for Marsh Tit.
pic 2 showing a pale wing panel and gis of Willow Tit, no white bill base spot
so pic 2 I would go for Willow Tit.
I know you get both species in that area.

Regards, John

I think you are seeing photographic artefact. Aside from a lack of white spot, pale wing panel (and a hefty pale panel) the build is perfect for Willow Tit without the half and half cheek colouration of a Marsh. Its a Willow Tit. Both are in fact.

I think you are seeing photographic artefact. Aside from a lack of white spot, pale wing panel (and a hefty pale panel) the build is perfect for Willow Tit without the half and half cheek colouration of a Marsh. Its a Willow Tit. Both are in fact.

agreed

Ii it the same bird? they are both ringed. But as both Hotspur and Nick say and agree, its perfect for Willow. I'm aware of the table that says proximal spot is the only reliable feature in British Willow/Marsh id,taken individually, but if there are more than one feature pointing at Willow Tit, then that is in itself a pretty good indicator that it is a Willow Tit. The excellent photos from Staffsmatin also leave no room for speculation.

Ii it the same bird? they are both ringed. But as both Hotspur and Nick say and agree, its perfect for Willow. I'm aware of the table that says proximal spot is the only reliable feature in British Willow/Marsh id,taken individually, but if there are more than one feature pointing at Willow Tit, then that is in itself a pretty good indicator that it is a Willow Tit. The excellent photos from Staffsmatin also leave no room for speculation.

Hi Andy,
There is a Brewood ringing group and they ring many birds at one site which I won't mention and expect these birds were ringed there. Both Marsh and Willow Tit occur at this site.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back