• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon S1 IS closeups! (1 Viewer)

ScottCummings

Hi, i'm pretty new to photography and recently brought a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. I'm very happy with the camera. It takes some great pictures and is easy enough to use.

One issue I do have with it is this ability to take close up photos. Once you get with 1 foot or so of the subject the camera will not focus correctly.

I would like to take some close ups of plants/flowers (and birds if I can get close enough!).

Can anyone advise if this is a normal problem or if I need some type of macro lens attachment.

Also, any advice on a good telephoto lens which will fit on the Canon S1 IS.

Thanks for your time any advice appreciated. Scott

(Does anyone else have a Canon Powershot S1 IS)?

ScottCummings said:
Hi, i'm pretty new to photography and recently brought a Canon PowerShot S1 IS. I'm very happy with the camera. It takes some great pictures and is easy enough to use.

One issue I do have with it is this ability to take close up photos. Once you get with 1 foot or so of the subject the camera will not focus correctly.

I would like to take some close ups of plants/flowers (and birds if I can get close enough!).

Can anyone advise if this is a normal problem or if I need some type of macro lens attachment.

Also, any advice on a good telephoto lens which will fit on the Canon S1 IS.

Thanks for your time any advice appreciated. Scott

(Does anyone else have a Canon Powershot S1 IS)?

Hi !

Sorry, I don't have that camera, but did you check in the manual if you have to switch the camera to macro mode ? I would expect that it's possible to focus quite close, but on most models there is a special macro mode that has to be enabled.
Also, maybe you have to have the zoom at wide-angle position (no zoom) to focus close.
These are just guesses but maybe you should check this to make sure.

BR,
Marco

Have just been looking into this and it seems that the camera should be able to close focus down to about 3.9 inches (about 10cm). These figures are for it without the zoom being used, with the zoom full out the minimum distance is 3.1 feet. I'm unsure as to whether you need to alter the camera setting to get the macro focus to work well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back