• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First ever bird-directed outing (1 Viewer)

dharma66

Today was the first time my wife and I set out on a walk with the express intention of seeing what birds we could spot.

We went to Brockholes in Lancashire, and throughly enjoyed several hours on a gloriously bright, and unexpectedly mild day.

What did we see? No idea!

Well, ok, we saw magpies, nuthatches, blue tits, a Dunnock (first time I’ve knowingly seen one!), a kestrel, robins, and loads of things I couldn’t identify.

I couldn’t identify anything out on the water, as they were all too far away, we don’t yet have any binoculars, and I couldn’t get a clear shot with the camera.

So, I think the next step is to invest in some bins, practice using a field guide, and get out a whole lot more!

Its a great start, I have been birdwatching for over 50 years, and I love going out without binoculars, or a bird guide and just experiencing it as I did when I was eight.
I do like going out kitted up and seeing new things through good bins as much if not more so, but its great to go bird watching with no pressure.
Well done
Harry

Thanks Harry, it felt great to get out. We used to walking a lot, until I got a job that made ridiculous demands on my time. Once work returned to sanity, we didn’t restart our outdoor life. Having a focus on watching birds (and any wildlife, to be fair) has got us both excited about the Great Outdoors again.

I’m already thinking about where to go next weekend :)

It will never end now! I had to go out and find a wren and a sparrow (Harris’s) because it was warmer than all week.

LOL I don't feel dressed without my bins!

I've often wondered about trying to find my way into Brockholes on my journeys south, but not sure I'd cope with what sounds like an awful double-roundabout underneath the motorway, so haven't risked it yet!

OK, OK I'm a coward!

I am intruiged by the bins / no bins thing.
I go out about a third of the time without bins or guide, and just look and listen.
Its the same at home, yes we have three scopes and four pairs of bins, and an apparent library of books, but mostly I use none of them, unless something piques my interest.
I do list, but not everyday, everywhere.
The thing I have done is spent years pouring over guides etc to be happy with my base knowledge of the majority of the birds that I am likely to see, and to be able to recognise and remember (or sketch and write down) any oddities.
Its like not photographing everything, but relying on memory. Too many times, people miss the rainbow because they're taking off the camera lenscap.

If people think of being without bins as a nightmare it may explain the weird looks I get walking around the Lodge at Sandy ;)

LOL I don't feel dressed without my bins!

I've often wondered about trying to find my way into Brockholes on my journeys south, but not sure I'd cope with what sounds like an awful double-roundabout underneath the motorway, so haven't risked it yet!

OK, OK I'm a coward!

It was a bit baffling, but clearly signed. And the thing to do is follow the signs, rather than assuming you’ll be going a certain way.

It was a busy day, with a full car park, but even the , the traffic on the approach was light, and I just took it slow. Given it’s literally a minute or two off the motorway, I’d say it’s sorth the diversion :)

Maybe one day I'll chance it. Would probably be easier with a passenger to help look for the signs.

Just realised it's been on the radar for 10 years!!! Ever since I came across it in The Opus. I'm sure it's changed a lot since that article was started!

That Opus entry is a bit sparse, isn’t it! Maybe as I gain experience, I could contrinpbute something there.

Probably the most important thing is that the postcode for satnav appears to be incorrect, taking you to the wrong side of the motorway. The postcode I used took me straight to the car park...

That Opus entry is a bit sparse, isn’t it! Maybe as I gain experience, I could contrinpbute something there.

Probably the most important thing is that the postcode for satnav appears to be incorrect, taking you to the wrong side of the motorway. The postcode I used took me straight to the car park...

Yes, it is a bit, sadly. Anything you could add to it would be most welcomed.

If you click on any of the Edit buttons (or the Edit tab at the top of the page), it is quite easy to do. Could you update the Post Code, I think I got it off their website back in 2012. But they may have had a new PC allocated when they built the Visitor Centre?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back