• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit incubating 2 month old eggs (1 Viewer)

Venger

Hi,

A friend of mine has a nest box and camera with a Blue Tit sitting on 3 eggs that were laid on the 4th April.

I've followed Blue Tits for years on our own nest box cam so I know that not only is 3 eggs very unusual but for them not to have hatched after 2 months is clearly wrong.

The question I have is, should my friend remove the eggs ?

I'm aware of the Wildlife and Countryside Act and the damage and/or removal of nests and eggs etc. but in this scenario, where you can prove that there is clearly a problem with the eggs, would it be in the best interest of the female Blue Tit if the eggs were removed so she then abandoned the nest ?

I know that sounds heartless but is 2 months of incubating eggs that'll never hatch detrimental to her well being as it makes me wonder how long she'll keep sitting there.

Many thanks for your advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back