• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Sand Plovers? - GUAM (1 Viewer)

gpike

Hi, I had about 4 of these birds yesterday here on Guam - I believe they are Lesser Sand Plovers but I'd like to double check. Sorry these are not good quality photos - the one time we actually found something new my husband hadn't brought along his good camera!

I don't know if anybody will be able to make anything out from these at all, really, but here they are:

This is the one in breeding plumage. Most of the individuals seemed to have black legs.

SANDPLOVER1.jpg

Here they are in flight with Ruddy Turnstones. I think the wing stripe looks really narrow and I did not see ANY dark bands on their tails.

SANDPLOVER2.jpg

I wish I'd known to check for the shape of the beaks when I was observing them. I had excellent views but I didn't know there would be two possibilities so similar and just didn't know to look for the right features.

Thanks for any opinions.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back