• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (1 Viewer)

Rainfall for June

Just for interest I have downloaded my weather station data for the last few weeks.

Based upon historic data (1981-2010) in June, the entire UK averages 10 days of rain, totalling 62 millimetres.

In Salwarpe over the 16 days of June we have had it has rained on 9 days so far with a total of 61.5mm. The last 7 days has seen 57.6mm.

A Common Tern fishing along the canal between Tapenhall and Mildenham this morning. It or another was flying around Hawford fishing pools earlier.

The Barn Owl performing well this evening at Coney - caught a small, dark rodent.

The Grasshopper Warbler started singing at dusk.

3 Tufted Ducks (1 female) and another drake at Porter's Mill.

Also, Cuckoos at Coney, Ladywood, Tapenhall and Hawford, Lesser Whitethroats (Coney and Linacre bridge), hirundines, Swifts, all the usual warblers, Kestrels, Buzzards. Coal Tit at Salwarpe.

2 Meadow Browns and a Large Skipper seen.

Highlights over the last few days (Thursday - Sunday):

Grasshopper Warber singing regularly and showing very well on Thursday evening.
Juvenile Tawny Owl begging calls Salwarpe churchyard.
Freshly fledged Coal Tits Gorsey Bank.
Juvenile Sedge Warblers Coney Meadow
Cuckoos, Lesser whitethroats, Common Whitethroats, Ravens, Reed warblers (inc. juvs), Skylarks, linnets, Yellowhammer (Chatley), Swifts and hirundines.

Butterflies included 8+ marbled Whites, Ringlets, Large Skippers and Meadow Browns plus Burnet Moths.

An Emperor Dragonfly caught and ate a Marbled White at Droitwich Community Woods.

An adult Little Grebe was on a small farm pond between Hawford and Chatley this morning...

..and a Grasshopper Warbler was singing from the edge of a nerby rough meadow (never had them here before).

Three broods of Swallow fledgelings around Porter's Mill and Tapenhall all had 2 young - seems low and could indicate a lack of insect food. Still time for more broods, though - I watched an adult collecting mud and nesting material from the side of the road.

Also, 3 Ravens over Tapenhall, a flock of 12 Mistle Thrushes, Goldcrest, lots of House Martins, a few Sand Martins, Swidts, Goldcrest, Reed, Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Buzzards, Kestrel, etc.

A Little Egret flew down the Salwarpe valley this morning - over New Mill towards Porter's Mill..

A Grasshopper Warbler singing this evening at Tapenhall.

Many more fledged juv Swallows in the area today.

Yellowhammer yesterday over Egg Lane.

12+ Common Spotted Orchids Coney Meadow but only 5 Pyramidal Orchids in the 'Firecrest Plantation'.

A Peregeine flew over Chawson Lane early evening.

50+ Swallows roosted at Coney plus a few Sand Martins. Similar numbers of Swifts over Droitwich, Westwood and Salwarpe.

7 Glow Worms counted - 1 Gorsey Bank, 4 Hopyard Wood and 2 between the allotments and the Roman Way - my first for the year.

A Little Egret flew down the Salwarpe valley this morning - over New Mill towards Porter's Mill..

'only 5 Pyramidal Orchids in the 'Firecrest Plantation'.

Since this I counted 7 spikes in poor light conditions, so could be more now. Also saw a very fresh otter spraint at entrance to culverted stream under canal close to wood entrance (down wooden steps).

Buzzard hanging round churchyard yesterday looking a bit too big for the space available.

A quiet time, bird-wise:

1 Little Grebe still between Hawford and Chatley on Friday.
1 Cormorant near Hawford (not common at this time of year).
A few birds still singing - Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Whitethroats and Song Thrushes but most now becoming less vocal.

A Scarlet Tiger Moth noted on Friday.

29 Glow Worms yesterday evening - 1 Gorsey Bank, 1 on the railway line and the rest between the allotments and the Roman Way.

A Common Tern flew over yesterday evening - seen from Coney.

c100 swallows and a few Sand Martins roosted plus a few Pied Wagtails.

18 Glow Worms counted in a limited search (1 Gorsey Bank, 1 Hopyard Wood, 3 railway track, the rest between allotments and Roman Way).

2 hours spent around salwarpe tonight.22 birds heard and seen highlights Very light brown and white crow, 30+ swifts and a small buzzard following me up and down copcut lane.think I had a yellowhammer flying over just by the railway bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_3568.JPG
    IMG_3568.JPG
    721.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 60
took another stroll this evening in search of the pale crow and maybe the chance of a photo came home feeling a bit like Captin Ahab,only success was to add 4 more birds to yesterdays count.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3588.JPG
    IMG_3588.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 43
Yesterday's Med Gull was only my second for the patch and the first adult I've recorded here.

A Little Grebe again this morning between Chatley and Hawford with the Grasshopper Warbler singing from a nearby meadow again.

Two Sterna sp. flying up the Salwarpe valley this morning were too distant to id but were probably Common Terns (viewed from Coney).

Other birds recorded include Lesser Whitethroat yesterday at Linacre bridge, a few Kestrels and Buzzards, Mistle Thrushes, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Cormorants, Grey Heron, the 2 common woodpecker spp. Nuthatch, Goldcrests, Skylarks etc.

Insects including Brown Hawker, Small and Essex Skippers.

On Thursday evening a total of 34 Glow worms were counted - 2 on Gorsey Bank, 2 adjacent to Hopyard Wood, 6 on the railway track and the rest between the allotments and the Roman Way.

A Hobby flew through as the Swallows were gathering - about 120 roosted and a group of 25 Sand Martins flew in late.

35 Glow worms counted this evening and a couple of Ghost Moths.

A Little Egret flew down the valley past Salwarpe village this eveninh.

Also Kingfisher and 200+ Swallows and Sand Martins gathered at dusk. Around 50 Swifts over Droitwich.

had a walk into town yesterday afternoon alone the canal from the leisure centre to the Gardeners arms noticed good numbers of house sparrow even when a kesteral made them scatter.

After a pleasant and informative chat with Woodchat last night, my missus and me headed back up the towpath towards Salwarpe church and spotted the pale crow in the distance in a sse direction across the fields to the tree line. So managed a record shot for Birder Gladys

Attachments

• Pale crow.jpg
    Pale crow.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back