• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Engage 10x42 review (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

Posted this in the Bushnell forum, but I thought I'd post here as well in case anyone was considering these...

For some background, I'm a confessed binocular junkie. They might be my favorite tools of all, so I am always eager to test new models and see how they compare to what I have, and what I have seen in the past.

My initial impression - after about 2 hours of side-by-side testing (on a tripod) and field observations is that these are an outstanding value - well worth the asking price. The optical quality is on par with binoculars I've used that cost 2-3X as much. The view:dollar ratio might be the highest I've ever seen, aside from perhaps the now-legendary Sightron Blue Sky 8x32's (which I also own).

Pro's:

Resolving power is exceptional. I can see minute detail that is hard to make out with most other binoculars in this price range.

Contrast is fantastic. Reminds me of Zeiss Conquests.

Depth of field is superb.

Build quality is excellent. These look like they can take a beating over time.

Diopter adjustment is excellent. I was intially concerned about this, but it has proven to be a very smart design that does not interfere with regular operation at all.

Eyecups are metal, comfortable in size and shape, and click smoothly into position.

Focus wheel concerned me at first (overtravel) but after some initial use it is just fine. I'm sure with use it will get even better.

These DO have a tripod socket with a easy to remove/replace threaded cap. They were a natural fit on my tripod adapter.

The size is very compact, and fit my hands extremely well. I don't think I'd want a pair of 10x42's to be any smaller, but I also wouldn't want them any larger.

Con's:

Not many.

Field of view is slightly narrow, but only compared to my current bins which have an exceptionally wide, immersive FOV. However for this to happen they also have enormous eyecups that are not comfortable for me to use (hence the search that led to the Engage bin's).

There are some internal reflections when my eyes are not positioned correctly, but this goes away when I readjust my eye relief.

Eye relief is good, but might be a little short for eyeglass wearers. My old bins have exceptional eye relief, and will become my wife's birding binoculars for that reason - she wears glasses.

All in all, I would put these on my "Best Buy" list so far. The view strikes me as very similar to my old Nikon LX-L 10x42's, but with a slightly narrower FOV. That's pretty high praise considering I sold a pair of Swaro's when I got my LX-L's.

So far, this is the only pair of Chinese-made binoculars I've tested that I will keep. That includes Zen-Ray's (3 models), other Bushells (2 models), Vortex (3 models), Leupolds (2 models), Maven C1's and the Zeiss Terra ED's.

I think these really hit the sweet spot. Well done Bushnell.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back