• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Traveller (1 Viewer)

We are doing a number of Field Events in the USA in the Fall, starting with the Midwest Birding Symposium 15-18th September in Ohio, We will also be at the Rio Grande Birding Festival in November.

Keep an eye on Our Dedicated USA Website for details of further events.

We are currently speaking to a number of retailers in the USA

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Now that Savannah Micro Porro Prism WP 8 x 30 sounds very interesting!

Do you have any pictures of it. There aren't any shown on the UK website.

Bob

If I did the math right, for those of us in the states, the 8x is 364ft (not exactly very narrow all things considered).

Mark,

The FOV is 333 ft, not 364.
111 m @ 1000 m is exactly the same angle as 111 yds (333 ft) @ 1000 yds.

It's surprising how many marketing departments fall into the trap of mixing up their units and simply converting a meter FOV to feet, forgetting that in the latter units it's measured at a shorter distance.

Swarovski now seem to have sorted themselves out, e.g. with the 8x30 CL at 124 m and 372 ft, but the specification sheet with an ATM 65HD bought this year had all the eyepiece FOVs incorrect in imperial units.

John

Mark,

The FOV is 333 ft, not 364.
111 m @ 1000 m is exactly the same angle as 111 yds (333 ft) @ 1000 yds.

It's surprising how many marketing departments fall into the trap of mixing up their units and simply converting a meter FOV to feet, forgetting that in the latter units it's measured at a shorter distance.

Swarovski now seem to have sorted themselves out, e.g. with the 8x30 CL at 124 m and 372 ft, but the specification sheet with an ATM 65HD bought this year had all the eyepiece FOVs incorrect in imperial units.

John

Thanks, John. Can you tell math isn't my specialty?:-O

Mark

@KorHaan: We now have an agent in the Netherlands and he's in the process of establishing a network of retailers over there.

We have a landing page for Dutch customers at http://www.opticron.nl - the list of dealers is on that page.

There will be an optics day run by Focus Optiek Middelburg later this month - the new Traveller will be on show there.

Cheers, Pete

@KorHaan: We now have an agent in the Netherlands and he's in the process of establishing a network of retailers over there.

We have a landing page for Dutch customers at http://www.opticron.nl - the list of dealers is on that page.

There will be an optics day run by Focus Optiek Middelburg later this month - the new Traveller will be on show there.

Cheers, Pete

Thank you, Pete!
That's very good news, much appreciated!

Best regards,

Ronald

Yesterday I received my new Traveller 6x32 Mg binoculars from the London Camera Exchange in London. I was pleased with their size, weight and image quality. The image is surprisingly bright when considering their size. These binoculars are small enough to be taken to the theatre or pocketed when going on a walk.In order to keep the weight down the well-engineered metal castings of the main frame are thin and lack rubber protection, accordingly these binoculars are not suitable for rough treatment.

I had a quick look at these earlier this month. Even in bright sunny conditions they seemed a tad brighter than other similarly priced 8x32 roofs and also pretty sharp. Despite their small size, they sat nicely in my hands. There may be optically better glasses at this price point, but the differences are probably only significant in episodic conditions (low light at dawn/dusk and heavy cloud) whereas the astonishing light weight is always a plus. Having recently bought a good camera, I'll not be getting them too soon, but when the funds allow I hope to get a pair since (unlike my 8x32 porros and even less so my 8x42 roofs) they'll fit neatly into my camera bag along with telephoto lenses,

ceasar, hail!

We are working at increasing the dealership list and two of the Opticron team will be in California & Texas over the coming weeks with other US trips planned. Retailers will be added to that list over the coming weeks & months.

In the meantime the Traveller BGA Mg will be on display at the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival in November

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back