• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first scope Opticron vs. Kenko (1 Viewer)

canario

Hello.
Sorry, my english is very poor. I´m a beginner and is the time to buy my first scope. I want a cheap-fit one.
What is your opinion about: Kenko Pro Field 70 or Opticron IS-60 (almost same price in Spain). The IS-60 looks to be a good inversion, but I don´t know if the greater diameter of the objetive lens in the japanese scope means a better light transmision.
Any view, or advice from a owner would be appreciated. Many thanks (and sorry again)

IS-60 + Eyepiece IS 18-54x: min. focus: 7,9m; Exit Pupil Diameter: 3,33\1,11mm; EyeRelief: 33-19mm; Field\1000m: 31\15m.

K Pro Field70 with 20=50x zoom: MF:8,5m; EPD: 3,5\1,4; ER:20\15,5mm; Field: 28\16m.

Both are good value for money - but you need a sturdy tripod, too (Velbon are good). What is your maximum budget for a scope and where will you mostly be using it?

Hello Scampo.
I have a good tripod: a manfroto 190CLB with a manfroto head 168 (I have used it in nature photography). My maximum budget for the scope is 235 pounds more or less (in Spain: kenko Pro Field70=235 pounds and Opticron IS-60 (with zoom lens)=210pounds more or less).
Till now I have observed birds with a russian binoculars 8x30. I want just to improve the quality of the observations. I will use the scope just for general birding: outing and sometimes in small lakes and bird census (not professional). I don´t need a expensive scope but I want a minimum of optical quality.
Thank you

Hi canario,

On behalf of all the Admin Staff and Moderators, let me wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum.

I see you have already received one reply to your question.

I cannot add much to that, other than to say that I believe Opticron do offer reasonable quality optics for a reasonable price. Myself and my partner both own Opticron binoculars for that very reason. However Kenko is not a brand that I am familiar with, so I cannot give any comparison.

However, if your English (which looks OK to me!) will get you through some of the posts in this forum, you may find a few personal reports from users of both brands.

I wish you luck, canario, and whatever you eventually choose, I hope you will return to BF to report your sightings.

:t:

canario said:
Hello Scampo.
I have a good tripod: a manfroto 190CLB with a manfroto head 168 (I have used it in nature photography). My maximum budget for the scope is 235 pounds more or less (in Spain: kenko Pro Field70=235 pounds and Opticron IS-60 (with zoom lens)=210pounds more or less).
Till now I have observed birds with a russian binoculars 8x30. I want just to improve the quality of the observations. I will use the scope just for general birding: outing and sometimes in small lakes and bird census (not professional). I don´t need a expensive scope but I want a minimum of optical quality.
Thank you
I think the Opticron would be the better choice - but try to buy it with an HDF eyepiece as they are so much better - the 32x especially.

If you can import from the UK, www.warehouseexpress have some excellent special offers on Kowa and Nikon Fieldscope III at present. Either of these would be a better buy than either Kenko or the IS60.

For info if you buy the IS with an HDF eyepiece you will need an adaptor. It doesn't cost much, £3.

Scampo is right about the eyepiece BUT the lens he is referring to 40809S is 23x on the IS60. The same lens is 28x on the HR66 and 32x on the ES80.

Bear in mind the HDF eyepiece are alot more expensive BUT would make upgrading to a scope like the HR66ED alot cheaper in the future since they work perfectly with all Opticron scopes.

I'm sorry but every time I see the word Kenko I think of the coffee adverts recently shown on the tele ( U K readers will appreciate this one).

Hi birdman, many thanks for the welcome. I am more near to the IS-60 now (I have seen a lot of personal reports: This forum is great!!!). I will send my sightings
Salud pajareros! (Cheers Birders! or something like this)

birdman said:
Hi canario,

On behalf of all the Admin Staff and Moderators, let me wish you a warm WELCOME to BirdForum.

I see you have already received one reply to your question.

I cannot add much to that, other than to say that I believe Opticron do offer reasonable quality optics for a reasonable price. Myself and my partner both own Opticron binoculars for that very reason. However Kenko is not a brand that I am familiar with, so I cannot give any comparison.

However, if your English (which looks OK to me!) will get you through some of the posts in this forum, you may find a few personal reports from users of both brands.

I wish you luck, canario, and whatever you eventually choose, I hope you will return to BF to report your sightings.

:t:

Thanks

Hi Scampo, Pduxon and Goeff. Thanks for your answers.
I ask for this in a spanish forum and some owners of he kenko model (pro Field 70) report a lot of problems with it when works with mag upper to 30x. They speak about ocular fatigue, optical aberrations, steaming up...
-Scampo: I think that I can´t import but maybe I increase my budget to buy one of the models of nikon or kowa or the IS-60 with the HDF eyepiece, I don´t know.
-Pduxon: thanks for the information. I will take it into account.
-Goeff: Somebody says to me that to buy a kenko Pro field 70 is the same that to squander the money (is only one opinion).

One question more:
¿Do you know the Minox MD 62 ? I think that is better than Opticron ¿it isn`t?
Thanks again

scampo said:
I think the Opticron would be the better choice - but try to buy it with an HDF eyepiece as they are so much better - the 32x especially.

If you can import from the UK, www.warehouseexpress have some excellent special offers on Kowa and Nikon Fieldscope III at present. Either of these would be a better buy than either Kenko or the IS60.

Last edited:
I have a review of the Minox - it didn't do as well as the HR66ED if I recall. PM me with your email address and I'll send a copy to you.

canario said:
Hi Scampo, Pduxon and Goeff. Thanks for your answers.
I ask for this in a spanish forum and some owners of he kenko model (pro Field 70) report a lot of problems with it when works with mag upper to 30x. They speak about ocular fatigue, optical aberrations, steaming up...
-Scampo: I think that I can´t import but maybe I increase my budget to buy one of the models of nikon or kowa or the IS-60 with the HDF eyepiece, I don´t know.
-Pduxon: thanks for the information. I will take it into account.
-Goeff: Somebody says to me that to buy a kenko Pro field 70 is the same that to squander the money (is only one opinion).

One question more:
¿Do you know the Minox MD 62 ? I think that is better than Opticron ¿it isn`t?
Thanks again

Hi Canario:
I happened to see this web when I was looking for a suitable camera to attach to my Kenko 70 Pro Field scope. It´s my first scope so I cannot compare it to any other, but I haven´t noticed any of these problems you talk about. I believe it is a good scope for beginners, though I hope to change it as soon as possible for a Swarovski or a Leica. Perhaps it´s greatest nuance is the lack of an appropriate fieldbag, so I use one made for the Kowa 601 which is kind of uncomfortable when aiming the scope.
By the way, my family comes from northern Castilla too (Barruelo de Santullán, Palencia). It´s a fine place for birding.

Hope you already have make up your mind

Menaza

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back