• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ultravid HD-Plus 'Customized' (1 Viewer)

Production run of maybe 100 units of each size, and they would find buyers from the Middle and Far East plus a few in Europe. All about exclusivity - look at the thread on the Simon King ltd edition 8 x 32 Victory FL, a lovely present for someone going on a safari but owned and used by birders.
Why not?

Leica obviously knows where the money is , and the customers that they are aiming at probably do not know anything about binoculars.

But to each his own.

Cheers.

I bump into many birders who know nothing about binoculars but know a lot about birds.

Lee

I kinda like it! Something different... I like the Silverline WAY more than I thought I would!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_13b1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13b1.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
All dressed-up , and nowhere to go 3:).

There are however plenty of rich people who will buy these , but these binoculars will probably never be "used in anger" , but merely as a fashion statement.

Cheers.

I'd love to know what "used in anger" means! Watching Enable approaching the finish at the Arc de Triomphe is every bit as worthy a use for binoculars as trying to identify a lesser-spotted whatsit! Checking out babes from the bow of your superyacht in Monaco is a perfectly good reason to use a binocular! o:D

I second that emotion.

But Rule Number 1 remains Rule Number 1.

Rule Number 1:

Anytime you are not using binoculars you are wasting time.

Mike

Speaking of which, I have the Ultravid 8x20 BL (blackline). Is the leather actually leather? I had assumed it was plastic, but it kind of smells of leather... not sure if the smell is simply due to the leather pouch they came in, or whether it is actually leather. Does anyone know?

I'd love to know what "used in anger" means! Watching Enable approaching the finish at the Arc de Triomphe is every bit as worthy a use for binoculars as trying to identify a lesser-spotted whatsit! Checking out babes from the bow of your superyacht in Monaco is a perfectly good reason to use a binocular! o:D

Touche

3:)

Louis Vuitton would love to have Leica as an OEM, but Leica would never go for it. Many of LV's women's items are sparkly, blingy things, but their men's items (I have several) are generally conservative and understated.

Oh sure they would! Leica has made plenty of understated bins as well as some crazy loud bins, like the Zagato edition (Nothing to be ashamed of since Swarovski has made some crystal-studded versions of its pocket models). Zeiss made a version of its Victory FL for Louis Vuitton.

--AP

I, for one, much prefer steel/leather binoculars. I am always afraid that the rubber will discolor or get damaged in time (deet? heat? sun?). One of the things I like about binoculars is that they can last a very long time (no batteries needed, no electronics), so if I were to get a binocular as expensive as an Ultravid 8x32, I would probably get these ones.

Have come across 'deet' mentioned before but am going to own up I have no idea what it is. The only deets I have come across are student slang for details.

If you have a moment I'd like to know :)

Tom

Back in the late 50’s and early 60’s in a far away land, men of the 101st had little green bottles of 100% Deet to keep any and every biting insect away from their flesh. Worked for that purpose as well as molding your fingerprints to steering wheels and giving a tinny taste in your mouth. Today, the best “bug repellant” made containing 80% Deet and is made and sold in Australia by the name Bushman. Best ever without the taste and plastic melting characteristic - when you are in a swarm of mosquitos, black flies and nonseeums an ounce of Bushman is worth 1000 times it’s weight in Gold.

Even though they are not practical in the field and I wouldn't spend my own money on them I have to say I really like the design and the colour - going by the advertising photography as I haven't seen the real thing - and can't help but be impressed by the way Leica's design experts repeatedly come up with beautiful objects. Strictly a fair weather or indoor item though and quite limiting, but as hinted it would make a very nice present!

Chosun and Joe, ah, yes it's ringing a bell. As someone who always attracts insects this would be really handy. I suppose I've taken the less toxic approach and just given up wearing long trousers in buggy places.

Thanks for the info. I think I was confusing it in my head with 'Veet' which is itself a fairly horrific hair-removing agent. Tried it once; never again.

Tom

You can still buy 100% DEET but I don't recommend it or other high concentrations for anything. Any level of DEET will damage some plastics. Luckily, many outdoor products are designed now to resist it. With respect to repelling insects, ticks, and mites, levels above ~20% are no more effective, they simply last longer. For skin application, encapsulated DEET (= time release) works as well and as long as 100% without the high exposure. My favorite is from Sawyer https://sawyer.com/products/ultra-30-liposome-controlled-release/ but the 3M product Ultrathon is also good https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ent-Lotion-2-oz-/?N=5002385+3291245920&rt=rud . For clothes, I don't use DEET but instead use permethrin. It is more effective for ticks and mites and completely innocuous once applied and dried
https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-209-W1...4X4JBEKCHJQ&psc=1&refRID=6YAFARR444X4JBEKCHJQ

--AP

Permethrin is the active ingredient found in ThermaCell pads, which performs great in certain environments. We use 4 units at each corner of our A-frame cook shack that has excellent ventilation.

I have tried several different means of mosquito protection to include 100% Deet. Once you start to sweat it’s just a matter of minutes before the bugs will descend upon your carcass. Bushman is 100% effective for 6 to maybe 8 hours when portaging into hard to access lakes and around rapids. Nothing compares to it in environments with extreme concentration of mosquitos, black flies and noseeums - no experience with ticks in the Southern States.

It’s prohibited in Canada, as far as purchasing/selling Bushman. It’s not EPA approved in the USA, so when ordering Bushman via internet, you may receive it or some Custom Guy will be using it. I get a couple tubes every so often from a relative residing in Australia who travels to the USA at least once every couple of years. No problem so far.

I suppose you could try putting it on your clothes, but I apply to my skin when leaving camp and reapply late afternoon and the bug swarms stay at bay. If coming in late, I would guess you would probably have at least 50 or more bites, providing you were constantly swatting them, whereas with Bushman, I am mosquito bite free. It is the very best I have ever used in 60 plus years of CQB with mosquitos.

If I ever run out of Bushman, I’ll give your recommendation a try in the remote regions of Northern Ontario Canada.

...If I ever run out of Bushman, I’ll give your recommendation a try in the remote regions of Northern Ontario Canada.

Sounds like you've got it covered, and that Bushman is an interesting product that I'll have to learn more about. I react to most skin applications of DEET, so I'm not sure an 80% formula is for me. I wonder what else is in it. Fortunately, limited use of the encapsulated DEET along with permethrin treated clothes has been 100% effective so far everywhere in the world that I've been, including swarms of mosquitos, black flies, and yellow flies (like deer flies) in MN and central ND in the USA.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back