• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhubarb Jelly/Jam? (1 Viewer)

NickSeverson

Hello, new to feeding birds and have been successful with black oil sunflower seeds and nyjer seed.

This spring we have been trying to find recipes (for us) with our endless rhubarb supply, but have not been a fan of too many of them... So a thought crossed through my mind, can birds eat rhubarb jelly/jam? Anyone tried this and been successful? If it's a bad idea let me know and I won't do it.

Thanks in advance!

Well, as I would not eat it, I think it unfair to foist it on a bird 8-P

but then again, I cannot recall the last caterpiller or mealworm I ate:eat:

but i had some sunflower seeds earlier :-O

Genuinely no idea, but as a lad, my dad's uneaten packed lunches went on the bird table, and some of them would certainly have had jam (jelly) in. BUT there will be diet experts here that could explain why we do not do that any more. I no longer put out bread, but cannot recall why.

Harry

Bread has no nutritional value for birds, Harry!

I googled about jelly for birds and it appears that grape jelly is a great success. I don't think we have grape jam in the UK. I've never put out jam/jelly but apparently the high sugar content makes it a high energy food for birds. I suppose you could put some out and see if they like it, Nick. Personally I would use the rhubarb in crumbles and stewed fruit!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back