• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, Marera Village (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey all,

These birds were seen at Marera Village (alt approx 1400m).

1,2) Immature Grey Capped Social Weaver ?
3) ?

Julien

Attachments

• IMG_8343.jpg
    IMG_8343.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8349.jpg
    IMG_8349.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8363.jpg
    IMG_8363.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 21
Marera Village is located between Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro NP.

Hard to tell between Grey-headed Sparrow and Swahili Sparrow with this angle and lighting.

For 3), bill is too thick for Vitelline Masked Weaver ?

Marera Village is located between Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro NP.

Hard to tell between Grey-headed Sparrow and Swahili Sparrow with this angle and lighting.

For 3), bill is too thick for Vitelline Masked Weaver ?

According to range, Swahili is the best option.

The bill looks too big for Vitelline indeed, although I'm never 100% sure with female / young Ploceus. I prefer to wait to see the male. :king:

It’s a Northern grey-headed sparrow, the usual «village sparrow» even in the core range of Swahili sparrow. The latter being a dry bush species not affiliated to human settlements. Eye-size, somewhat stubby bill, extensive dark lores and lack of prominent white tips to the greater coverts on a fresh plumage bird all indicate NGH. Also if taken recently the bill colour points towards NGH as non-breeding Swahili are pale-billed.

Thanks Tib, where did you get all this information from ?

I have exchanged with Neil Baker (the main authority on TZ birds) on this subject and I have also spent a lot of time studying Swahili sparrows, I have found several undescribed differences between this sp and NGH.
I am currently studying the calls/vocalization of the 4 members of the Passer griseus complex present in Tanzania.
Still missing recordings and good photos of Southern grey headed though ...a scarce bird only found to the south-east of the country.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back