• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, Serengeti NP (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey everyone,

Birds seen in the northern part of the Serengeti NP (close to the Mara River) on the 20/08/19.

1) Pale morph Tawny Eagle (vertical nostril) ?

2) Wahlberg's Eagle (round nostrill) ?

3) Long Tailed Cisticola ?

4-5) Imm. Eastern or Dark Chanting Goshawk ? Imm. are supposed to have pale eyes and yellow legs but I don't know if the colour change occurs before or after the imm. plumage turns grey.

Attachments

• IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9428.jpg
    IMG_9428.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9565.jpg
    IMG_9565.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9726.jpg
    IMG_9726.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9727.jpg
    IMG_9727.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Correct on the first 3 (tough I am not a big fan of ascribing Tawny eagle to the so-called «pale morph»). If you have a flight pic of that tawny eagle I would like to see it if possible.
The Chanting gos is a Dark CG.

I don't have a flight pic of the tawny sorry.

What made you say Dark CG instead of Eastern CG ?

Simply the fact that you have photographed an older juvenile whose cere is already turning red and that has already moulted in a few adult-type feathers to the thighs showing the coarser pattern of DCG. ;)
Otherwise the 2 species may indeed be quite tricky to separate in juvenile plumage.

Last edited:
Oh yeah the red cere of course...What do you mean by "coarser pattern" if I may ask ?

Is the barred undertail covert (that we can see on the second pic) also a key feature of DCG ?

Last edited:
Oh yeah the red cere of course...What do you mean by "coarser pattern" if I may ask ?

Is the barred undertail covert (that we can see on the second pic) also a key feature of DCG ?

The barring of adult Eastern CG is finer.

The barred UTC are not diagnostic as such but there seems to be some differences there (on average at least) between the juv of the 2 sp. Something I want to study further when I’ll have the time to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back