• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID help please, Doncaster (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

I found this moth in Doncaster yesterday, I presume it’s a type of snout moth, but I can’t find it in my guide. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• DE346B76-7539-4651-8ED8-CCBEFE339BDF.jpg
    DE346B76-7539-4651-8ED8-CCBEFE339BDF.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 16
Ahhh thank you Andy. I was under the presumption micro moths were small, but obviously with this is fairly large it is not always the case! is this an exception? From this I’ll now be buying a micro moth guide, any recommendations?

Cheers,

Tom

Ahhh thank you Andy. I was under the presumption micro moths were small, but obviously with this is fairly large it is not always the case! is this an exception? From this I’ll now be buying a micro moth guide, any recommendations?

Cheers,

Tom

Not that unusual, there are some such as Mother of Pearl which are even bigger. Someone will tell you cos I forgot, the definition of a micro, there is a characteristic tht separates micro from macro rather than just size.

This is THE book to get

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guid...324585&sr=1-1&keywords=micro+moths+of+britain

A

Last edited:
I don't think that there is a definition as such. It is a grouping of families really and some micro moth families are treated as 'honorary macros' having been covered in such books as Skinner.

Technically, Goat Moth is a 'micro moth' and when you get one of those approaching your trap, you duck!

All the best

I don't think that there is a definition as such. It is a grouping of families really and some micro moth families are treated as 'honorary macros' having been covered in such books as Skinner.

Technically, Goat Moth is a 'micro moth' and when you get one of those approaching your trap, you duck!

All the best

I though Martin (Honeym) gave me a definition once or at least a guideline?

A

My understanding is that it is the older grouping of families which are evolutionarily older than butterflies whereas macros are newer which is why swifts, foresters, burnets, clearwings, etc are micros but I'd listen to Martin (not me) every day of the week!

All the best

My understanding is that it is the older grouping of families which are evolutionarily older than butterflies whereas macros are newer which is why swifts, foresters, burnets, clearwings, etc are micros but I'd listen to Martin (not me) every day of the week!

All the best

Are you sure about that Paul, why they all in Waring if they're micros?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back