• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Ultralite 8x42 - Value? (1 Viewer)

dougan

I purchased these brand new around 15 years ago, it is the older grey coloured ones, with porro prisms.

They are in excellent condition and complete with original case, neck stap and lens covers. Are these worth anything in todays market? As I was thinking of upgrading and puttting the money towards the new ones.
But if they are not worth much, I might as well keep them as a spare pair.

Thanks

I paid $200 from Adorama in NY. I really liked the 8x42 Ultraltes. I thought they were better than the 8x44 ED and 10x42 models (too much pincushion in those two).

I only had them for a year when the 820 Aububons came out and Steve Ingraham declared them the "Poor Man's EL" on BVD.

What? A bin that matches the EL in resolution and costs $1,000 less? Sounded good.

So I traded the Ultralites for the 820 Audubon, but within minutes of trying the Audubon I had traders remorse (aka mooreorless remorse).

The eyecups were "not made for human eyes" as one reviewer would later put it, but the only mention of the oversized flesh diggers that Ingraham made was that the ER for eyeglass wearers was less than specified (at the time Swift advertised 18mm, today they list 16mm, but the useable ER for eyeglass wearers is only about 12mm).

Didn't matter to me since I don't use eyeglasses with birding bins but the hard, flat eyecups and protruding focuser made seeing the entire FOV impossible.

What I could see looked sharp and bright, sharper than the 8x42 Ultralite, but the latter was much more comfortable to use, with its narrower fold down rubber eyecups and slimmer ergonomics. Even though I have large hands, the 820s were still a "handful".

If you're thinking of selling the older model to "upgrade" to the newer (but discontinued) chunky style "Lite," I'd advise holding on to your present pair and compare the two before deciding which you want to keep. Newer isn't always better.

Brock, provost, School of Hard Knocks

I thought they were better than the 8x44 ED ... 820 Aububons .... the ER for eyeglass wearers was less than specified (at the time Swift advertised 18mm, today they list 16mm, but the useable ER for eyeglass wearers is only about 12mm)....

As always, your impressions are interesting, and in this case, unusual.

As far as the optics go, the ED Audubon is exceptional. My pair is the only "ED" bino i have tried that could be called an APO. To my eye, its level of correction generally in the central 1/3 of the field (along with the 820 and HR/5 models) approaches that of the 8x32 SE (but does not match it, but of course, what does? ;) )

I wear eyeglasses, and own the HR/5, 820 and ED. My impression is that the HR/5 has a tiny bit more ER than the later, armored models. I wish i had one of the HR/5 ED models.
The ER on the 820 and ED i would put at about 14mm. I have measured the visible FOV for me, and of the stated 8.2 deg. FOV, I can see appox. 7.75 degrees in the HR/5 and 7.5 degrees in the later models. I should note the eye cups on the HR/5 are roll-down rubber. I do not miss seeing the edge, given the quality of view i can see.

All in all, I think the Swift Audubon hit its high mark in design with the HR/5, pre-armored version, apart from the closer focus on the later armored version. The older pre-armor ED version would be...well. When it comes to porros, probably what the gods use when in a porro mood, if they cannot find an SE of course :t:

Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
I thought they were better than the 8x44 ED ...

As always, your impressions are interesting, and in this case, unusual. As far as the optics go, the ED Audubon is exceptional

Jay,

I was referring to the 8x44 Ultralite ED. I thought Swift used the same EPs as the 8x42, but they had more pincushion like the 10x42 Ultralite. Also, the close focus on the 8x44 ED is 18 ft.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1514166&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&vc=1

Brock

Last edited:
If you can afford your bin of choice without doing a p/ex I would. Think it was a 10x42 for sale at LCE Direct for about £70 recently so previous owner can't have got much. As Brock says they'd provide cover while you get used to your new glasses and possibly sort out teething problems. If they're not getting any use later then maybe could sell on this site. Their light weight and ability to set for narrow ipd always made them a good choice for youngsters.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back