• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts have arrived (1 Viewer)

Swifts have been on my street in Aberdeen for about ten days now but the numbers are still quite low as far as I can tell. Once they're in I'd normally expect to see groups of 10-15 in the evening but I'm just seeing 5 or 6 at the moment.

Swifts have been on my street in Aberdeen for about ten days now but the numbers are still quite low as far as I can tell. Once they're in I'd normally expect to see groups of 10-15 in the evening but I'm just seeing 5 or 6 at the moment.

Same here in terms of numbers, and only arrived on Friday.

It will be interesting if we can come back to this in one month from now and see what the numbers are like. I just wonder if the problem lies in their winter quarters.

Ours are still not back, only four cruising around this evening. There has obviously been a problem, how severe a crash we won't know unless folk submit data.

I've still got very few Swallow, no locally breeding House Martin returns and species such as Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler etc also are notably lower locally this year.

Numbers are well down on past years here in this part of Ireland. Although I saw my first on the last week of April as is usual, mostly there are just single birds or couples. A place were I work in Co. Monaghan was once an old workhouse. Each year it is teaming with swifts even at this time of year. So far I have counted just two.
Swallow and house martin numbers are also down and I have yet to see a sand martin this year, even in areas where I normally see them. They are absent.
What has gone wrong?

Si

There seem to be more on my street this evening. Prior to today the most I'd seen had been 7 but there are at least 13 around at the moment. That's a bit closer to a normal number at an evening gathering early in the season. Odd that their arrival has been so gradual, as they normally tend to come in en masse.

Around 8 screaming over my road in Basingstoke today, with at least one pair in my loft, very vocal under the eves - great to have them back; will wait a few weeks to see how many pairs I have, have been up to three.

cheers, alan

The first two Swifts in York this evening, along with a single House Martin. Still no Sand Martins on the Ouse where it crosses the 1237 outer ring road.

Still haven't had any on breeding buildings at work, hirundines still well down. Haven't been into the countryside to judge Whitethroats etc this week. Fingers crossed.

John

On a home visit to Nottingham and seeing what I think are the same 2 birds, very, very few here, no Housemartins either.

No Greenfinches either but loads of Goldfinches..

A

Last edited:
Having seen the first one here in S London on 7 May (just one bird) there have been only four since. Seems a real cause for concern.

Concur with everything said!...and I appear to be very low on Chiff Chaff in my neck of the woods too (NE.London).

Easily down by 50% compared to last year, can't see them suddenly surging in nos. as I feel it's getting a bit late for them now. :-C

Have noticed more swifts over the local town at the weekend since my last post indicating that more are filtering in at last. Also saw my first sand martins of the year on a coastal location in Co. Louth but there are still none on regular inland spots.

Si.

I saw my first ones yesterday.

Five flying above the town. Lovely to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back