• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (4 Viewers)

Good goose movement this morning, with 3170 (ish) pinkfeet and 70 barnacle geese south past the ness in an hour and a half.

10 RTDs north and 6 south
11 manxies north
17 wigeon north
only 1 skua, a very distant one north that was probably a pom.

Good goose movement this morning, with 3170 (ish) pinkfeet and 70 barnacle geese south past the ness in an hour and a half.

10 RTDs north and 6 south
11 manxies north
17 wigeon north
only 1 skua, a very distant one north that was probably a pom.

Unrelated but I had another 50 geese over my house at bout 7.30am this morning heading towards the ness

Quick scoot round late afternoon. Or is it early evening? Anyway, a couple of Bottlenose Dolphins, 2 Goosander, 3 Common Scoters south, a couple of flocks of Pink-feet over. The best were two Whooper Swans swimming about in Nigg Bay. Also three Red-throated Divers there.

Pictures:
1. The vast flock of Kittiwakes in Nigg Bay. Note the two particularly large and long-necked individuals.
2. One of the mysterious circles that have appeared on the golf course. Possible explanations include,
a. Aliens
b. Students mucking about
c. Some sort of weird fungal growth
d. Impromptu helicopter landing pads in anticipation of big rare turning up
e. Something boring

Attachments

• Kittiwake_Whooper_Girdleness_300909a.jpg
    Kittiwake_Whooper_Girdleness_300909a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Aliens_Girdleness_300909a.jpg
    Aliens_Girdleness_300909a.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 94
I tried to twitch your Whoopers this morning Andrew, but they'd gawn by the time I arrived. I did manage to get another one flying south later on though from the foghorn. Other stuff included
1 pom skua south
1 Arctic/pom north (distant)
735 ish Pinkfeet south
81 Eider south ( i dont usually pay too much attention to these but there seemed to be a movement today)
RTD 1 north
Velvet scoter 1 south

And a constant northerly passage of kittiwakes and gannets

A sea-watch at the Ness early this evening proved ok. There was a big passage of Gannet, with my Dad and I recording 100 birds within 10 minutes (between 20 and 10 to 5), and around the same number of Kittiwake. Another few hundred passed within the hour and half we continue to spend there. Also 6 Arctic Skua , and one bulky looking skua very far out that could have been a Pom, although it was very hard to say due to distance, but it may have been an Arctic, in which case seven Arctics would have passed in the hour and a half we spent sea-watching. Also, 6 Red-throated Diver passed, and a Purple Sandpiper was on the concrete projection from where we were watching at the Coo, the first we had seen at the Ness since the beginning of the year. ;)

This morning I was doing a walk with the Aberdeen RSPB Phoenix group in the perhaps vain hope that we'd witness the glorious spectacle of bird migration. I'm not sure there was too much of that going on, although lots of Gannets were drifting through. We didn't walk that far and spent most of the time sheltering from the increasingly boisterous wind by walking along the bottom of the bank in Greyhope Bay. A couple of Bottlenose Dolphins appeared briefly and off the Coo was a Red-throated Diver. The highlight was a moulting Black Guillemot a short distance offshore. Several Purple Sandpipers were on the rocks and one Goosander was in the harbour.

The wind's really a bit lively now. I'm half expecting a few cars to go flying past the window.

I forgot to mention that The Freak was on Greyhope Bay yesterday - the first time I've seen him (or her) for quite a while. There was also a good roost of 74 Turnstones on the Skate's Nose.

Today was a bit calmer but very quiet. I do need to wheel out the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser though, because we're now up to:

A quiet start, but I think things are just getting going.

There was a Little Auk off the Ness this morning, but I didn't see it, mainly because I was too lazy to go out. Sad really.

The Freak as he/she has been so affectionately dubbed certainly has a face only a mother could love, or maybe not even mummy as in the case of the ugly duckling.

The Freak as he/she has been so affectionately dubbed certainly has a face only a mother could love, or maybe not even mummy as in the case of the ugly duckling.

Very possibly, although as he/ she seems to breed most years on the Water Treatment Works in Nigg Bay, I guess somebody loves her. Or him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back