• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Discovery 7x42 (1 Viewer)

adhoc,

I am thoroughly enthused with the 7x42 Discovery. It offers an excellent overall "package" in that it feels good in my hands (length and weight combination) and the view is pleasing to my eyes.

Is it an "alpha" optically?

No, of course not. We are talking about a $250 (US) binocular here. However what it does offer is all the benefits of a classic 7x42 roof (wide true field of view, excellent depth of field, large exit pupil to let your eye roam a bit, etc...) in a very compact, solid package and from an established company.

Edit: And I love the focus. Good combination of tension and speed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Pete and Frank!

Pete, Do you know when the 7X42 Discovery will be available in the US? I want one!

I can confirm the eye relief is l o o o o o n n n n g g g g. I typically don't extend the eyecups with any binocular but need to with this one in order to eliminate blackouts.

I can confirm the eye relief is l o o o o o n n n n g g g g. I typically don't extend the eyecups with any binocular but need to with this one in order to eliminate blackouts.

Me too Frank. With my latest spectacles I have to lift up eyecups on many models of binos and this is no exception. In fact I am going to a local bearings and seals centre tomorrow to pick up some o-rings to adjust the eyecups on them and on some other binos.

Nice view isn't it?

Lee

Hi Gents,

Sorry but it seems to me that those who regularly receive Opticron products to review never, ever say anything critical about them. I also know that others who have been constructively critical on the forum have had their words quoted back to them by Pete Gamby when he has refused to send a product to review. So, I take these lavish praise-laden comments with a large pinch of salt!!!!!!!

Hi Jinty85,

...Is it an "alpha" optically//No, of course not. We are talking about a $250 (US) binocular here...
In many reviews of moderately priced binoculars I (personally) take it that the above idea is implicit! On forums such as these if there is a doubt concerning a favorable review, in general or in regard to some point within it, we could, and often do, directly ask the reviewer.

PS. On the other hand if a reviewer receives any special benefit (that ordinary users do not) from the manufr. or their agent/s in connection with a review he/she should make it a point to state that. Confining my comments to FrankD, as I have already cited him, I believe he does this.

Last edited:
Hi Jinty85,

In many reviews of moderately priced binoculars I (personally) take the above idea to be implicit! On forums such as these if there is a doubt concerning a favorable review, in general or in regard to some point within it, we could, and often do, directly ask the reviewer.

PS. On the other hand if a reviewer receives any special benefit (that ordinary users do not) from the manufr. or their agent/s in connection with a review he/she should make it a point to state that. Confining my comments to FrankD, as I have already cited him, I believe he does this.

My implicit response from that particular comment from Frank is “No sh*t Sherlock!”

Seriously, I think Jinty is being harsh!

Petrus 82,

By "impicit" I meant this, copied from the Google dictionary (easiest to access), and also the first meaning in pretty much all others: "suggested though not directly expressed."

The purpose was not to contradict Jinty85, but to put in a word for reviewers who do not in fact intend to mislead, and to offer (what I hope is!) a bit of useful information.

PS. On the other hand if a reviewer receives any special benefit (that ordinary users do not) from the manufr. or their agent/s in connection with a review he/she should make it a point to state that. ......

I've done 6 Opticron reviews, five at their invitation. As for special benefits, I did accept a cup of coffee once at their HQ when they asked for my opinion on various producs. They did try to help me with a test I had in mind and I did accept a £10 tripod mounting bracket. I was offered one of the binoculars I reviewed, but I declined. Is that what you had in mind?

Anyone else?

David

Last edited:
My interrogation is bringing in results fast. GBP 10! And "cup of coffee" is very suspicious. Where was that in this range (link)? We need transparency ;-) Frankly David I had forgotten about your Opticron reviews on BirdForum, if they were in fact here (sorry)! It happens that I was never too excited about this make, although I am interested in the present model (7x42), and also the other one I asked about, the 6.5x with the very wide field of view, though less now after Frank's brief report here.

I wouldn't want to question Pete's barista skills, but it wasn't Jamaican blue mountain let alone Kopi Luwak.:-O

David

Last edited:
I intend to take a look at these - as someone with mild shake in my hands 7x gives me much clearer apparent magnification. It would be nice to see some other manufacturers follow suit as of recent years 7x has been something of a gap in the marketplace.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back