• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good news for Leica BN & BA Owners (1 Viewer)

If you own a pair of Leica BN's or BA's in 10X42 or 8X42 then you are probably aware that there has been no front lens covers available. (They do have a very good eyepiece lens cover.)

To some this is no big deal as you use them out of a pouch/case.
I like to sling my bino's around my neck and have them ready at all times, however without lens caps the front lens are exposed.
(I've always liked that feature in Swarovski SLC's, although I prefer Leica, as they seem a little more robust. I have both. )

Good news is that the new Ultravid lens caps (10X42) fit the BN's perfectly, and I'm presuming will also fit the BA's.

You can buy the part seperately and it's not too expensive
(About USD$20.00)

part # 434-630.001-007

I've just bought some via net and they were delivered very promptly. Fit a treat. :clap:

TrackerNZ I have a pair of BNs10X42s and I've been looking for a pair of objective lens covers but have had no luck over here. Would be most grateful if you would mail me the e-mail address of your supplier. Thanks Dave

DAS said:
TrackerNZ I have a pair of BNs10X42s and I've been looking for a pair of objective lens covers but have had no luck over here. Would be most grateful if you would mail me the e-mail address of your supplier. Thanks Dave

hmm... could invest in some for my 10x42bn's, can you order from the local optic shops? coz i aint sending away for them!

DAS said:

Any Leica dealer can supply the part as per part number above.
They come standard with Leica Ultravids (10X42) but are also a perfect fit on the BN/BA. My local Leica dealer had no problem supplying as a seperate part.
They were relatively inexpensive (NZD$29)

Last edited:
TrackersNZ many thanks for the info and reply. I have emailed ACE Optics here in Bath with the part no. awaiting for a price. If reasonable, over here I will go ahead and order. Just the job as I always live in fear of scratching the objectives lenses. At the price Leica charge for the BNs I am surprised objective lens covers are not supplied as original equipment. The glasses are surperb to use and I am very pleased with them. The only other moan I have is with the soft leather case supplied. Well made, but just about the most awkward thing to take off the glasses quickly and to use with the glasses and case attached to neck strap. Thanks Dave

Re objective lens covers for Leica BNs 10X42. Refer to my last post. ACE Optics in Bath has just got back to me on availability of covers. They inform that they have them in stock. I've ordered a pair and they are £12 posted. Good price I think. Thanks Dave

Greetings!

Another option.... Butler Creek flip-open rifle scope covers that will fit Leica Trinovid BN models - these are very convenient and less expensive than the factory Leica covers. Look for size "34 OBJ" and they fit perfectly... about $12 for a pair.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Covers for Zeiss Victory?

Does anyone know of covers (either tethered or flipup) which will fit the Zeiss Victory 8 x 40 (I know, I know - Arthur Pinewood and I seem to be the only folks on the planet who like and use these bins, but they are waterproof, surprisingly lightweight, very bright and, at least to my eyes, more than acceptably sharp and crisp)?

Thanks

chartwell99 said:
Does anyone know of covers (either tethered or flipup) which will fit the Zeiss Victory 8 x 40 (I know, I know - Arthur Pinewood and I seem to be the only folks on the planet who like and use these bins, but they are waterproof, surprisingly lightweight, very bright and, at least to my eyes, more than acceptably sharp and crisp)?

Thanks

Opticron tethered objective lens covers are perfect for this binocular. They are much better then Leica Ultravids covers.As a matter of fact i bought 2 pair of these covers. One pair for a Zeiss 8x40 Victory II and one pair for a Leica Ultravid 10x42 BR. The Ultravid's original covers didn't last very long so I had to buy some new and better covers.
BTW Outside diameter for the 8x40 front lens is 52mm and for the 10x42 a little under 53mm.

I'll second that!
I've been using Butler Creek flip up covers size 23 on my 8x32 BNs for about three years now. Not only do they protect the objectives, they also provide about 1/2" of sunshade.
Sandy Crane
Boise, ID. USA

The newly redesigned Ultravid 42mm objective covers fit the Trinovid and Duovid 42's perfectly. They are a very nice tethered lens cover and are available in green and black direct from Leica USA for $30 a pair.

My MAJOR and only pet peeve about Leica is they don't make (and didn't provide) objective covers (until the Ultravid's came along)... I prefer the Swaro type covers but nothing I've found thus far fit's my 8x32 BN's... I use a pair from Eagle Optics made for their 8x32 but the quality just isn't very good and the fit is marginal.

Brad_A said:
My MAJOR and only pet peeve about Leica is they don't make (and didn't provide) objective covers (until the Ultravid's came along)... I prefer the Swaro type covers but nothing I've found thus far fit's my 8x32 BN's... I use a pair from Eagle Optics made for their 8x32 but the quality just isn't very good and the fit is marginal.

You should put a call into Leica. Have Dave check to see if the Ultravid 32 covers fit the Trinovid 32.

Dave Elwell
Leica Camera Inc. / Parts & Technical Info
1 Pearl Court/ Unit A
Allendale, NJ 07401
www.leica-camera.com/usa
[email protected]
Tel 800-222-0118 Ext 217 / Fax 201-995-1684

Brad_A said:
I spoke to Dave month's ago... no, they don't fit.

If you have a set of calipers measure the outside diameter and post it here. I'm sure someone can find a bino with close measurement that has objective lens covers made for it.

justin2992 said:
If you have a set of calipers measure the outside diameter and post it here. I'm sure someone can find a bino with close measurement that has objective lens covers made for it.

Good idea. I do have calipers at home... I'll get a measurement and post it (Tried Swaro 7 and 8x30 and 8x32 covers too... no go).

Go to any gun shop or sporting goods store and get the Butler Creek objective covers, they shouldn't be very difficult to find. They're cheap and there are plenty of different sizes to fit almost any scope or binocular.

xenophobe said:
Go to any gun shop or sporting goods store and get the Butler Creek objective covers, they shouldn't be very difficult to find. They're cheap and there are plenty of different sizes to fit almost any scope or binocular.

The Butler Creek stuff, which til' last year was made down the road, isn't something I want on my bino's... can't stand them on various pard's bino's that wear them.

Yeah, I don't like them on my bins either, but if you really need objective covers, they're a hell of a lot better than the Eagle Optics ones, which may be your only real alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back