• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (4 Viewers)

Nothing wrong with that camera Dolce - a daughter of a friend of mine has one (the pink one). It's 7.1 megapixel, 3 optical zoom and has image stabilization. No reason why you should not get crystal clear pics with that, assuming you have all the right buttons pressed.
You obviously have some technical skills, as you have been able to crop, resize, etc your photographs and place them on this forum. Keep trying the different settings on your camera, though the auto mode should cover most situations.
Good luck with your grandchild and your travels.
Yes indeed my one has all those things mentioned above and appears to be similar camera. I just watched that RTE 2 programme you mentioned about earlier on Wild Mallorca, really enjoyed it. We were planning to go to the Parc Natural S'Albufera de Mallorca or wildlife marsh between Port d'Alcudia and Can Picafort there that he actually showed the lovely white Erget birds in next latish August. (so pleased to see it). Actually last year young Carlos and I actually got pictures of little dragonera lizards as he called them and then one or other of us managed to delete pictures by accident and practically cried over losing them. I hope we are better with the camera this year.

Naglough Fire

Massive fire on Slieve Naglough started at 11.15pm last night and continues to burn, covering a large area in thick white smoke. Coilte and Fire Service have been monitoring the situation, as it is feared the fire could spread to nearby forests. Strong Easterly winds together with only 19mm of rain so far in Arpil have worsened the situation. I was out at it last night; looked like an erupting volcano! An area over 1 mile long by 1/2 mile wide has been distroyed. Birds in the area include meadow pipits, ravens and I seen cuckoo there last year. The peregrine site is not affected, though some of it's potential food supply may be.

Last edited:
Several wheatears and white wags along the shore near balaggan point yesterday. Also a few swallows, a chiffchaff and a somewhat bedraggled merlin - still very slow!

Dundalk Leader article

Has anyone seen the new Dundalk paper's article on Don's recent presentation at the Spirit Store??

The headline on the article reads:
DUNDALK NATURISTS SEE PRETTY LITTLE THINGS :eek!:

What "pretty little things" have they been looking at??? And who, I ask, are these naturists amongst us - stand up (maybe not!) and accept responsibility for the shame you have brought on local birding enthusiasts!

This has to be someone taking the p**s, or goes down as one of the funniest headings ever in the local media!!

Last edited:
3 iceland gulls at cruisetown and 1 at salterstown today
didnt notice any "birding naturists" about today ,maybe that cold easterly has something to do with that

Attachments

• iceland,salterstown.jpg
    iceland,salterstown.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 89
Missed the marsh harrier today by 10 minutes. Otherwise quiet. Hundreds of hirundines at keenans cross pond including housemartins and sandmartins (123) and a lone pochard. Whimbrel at rockmarshel...

Missed the marsh harrier today by 10 minutes. Otherwise quiet. Hundreds of hirundines at keenans cross pond including housemartins and sandmartins (123) and a lone pochard. Whimbrel at rockmarshel...

marsh harrier pics

Attachments

• marsh har 049.jpg
    marsh har 049.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 100
  • marsh har 048.jpg
    marsh har 048.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 101
  • marsh har 020_edited.jpg
    marsh har 020_edited.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 102
Also Oscar Merne had a common sandpiper near narrow water last wednesday. Any more details on the spotted redshank - summer plumage?

County Year List

144 Marsh Harrier
145 Spotted Redshank
146 Common Sandpiper

Quiet today. The best were 2 1st Winter Iceland Gulls at Cruisetown. 2 Willow Warblers the only migrants I could see on Clogher Head after one and half hours searching. There were 33 Sandwich Terns at Cruisetown also. 2 Semi summer plumaged Great Northern Diver at Hermitage and 6 Stock Dove. Quiet at Dunany,one Raven the best there.

I am surprised we are still keeping up with Galway in terms of the county year list.

Louth Abu!

I got a bit lost looking for Templetown Beach and ended up in ballagan, this evening. The best there were 6 Willow Warbler and 2 Chiffchaff by the ruined farmhouse with the sycamores and 2 Wheatear in one of the fields. All quiet at Rockmarshall-tide out.

Nice find Gerry.whereabouts was the marsh harrier and has it been looked for today?
Has marsh harrier been recorded in Louth before? cant recall hearing of one

Nice find Gerry.whereabouts was the marsh harrier and has it been looked for today?
Has marsh harrier been recorded in Louth before? cant recall hearing of one

Unfortunately I was away yesterday.:C No sign of it today. It was in Seabank / Lurgangreen area.
The last record was one about 4? years ago - EL at same location and it only stayed a few hours.
PS - according to Irish Birding, Enda Flynn was the finder.

We'll have to have a seperate finders list if Enda keeps this up...

Two male eider off carlingford this morning along with a half dozen whimbrel. A pair of little egrets in the fabled Shilties lough coming into breeding condition. Also noted a pair of coot with young on Grange pond. A few PB Brent still lingering along the coast...

Little Terns

Maurice Conaghy saw 4 Little Terns at Baltray this afternoon. That's just about 1 week later than last year.

Time to get the digging gear out again....

I'll put a post up when we have plans as to when we'll be putting up the cordon/fencing etc. And then of course we'll be looking for volunteers again for the summer.... Lets hope the weather is kinder to us this year!

Cuckoo

Woke at 6.45 this morning to the sound of a cuckoo in Castlebellingham , haven't heard that sound since I was a child in Haggardstown .

regards

John

Woke at 6.45 this morning to the sound of a cuckoo in Castlebellingham , haven't heard that sound since I was a child in Haggardstown .

regards

John
They are few and far between all right. There was 1 in Baltray last year, must check in case it's around again. The bog in Ardee seems to be a good spot to hear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back